The Regret

When Dipper woke up, he felt...strange.

The sheets of his bed were itchy and uncomfortable. His room was too cold and when he went to pull up his blankets, he found that they weren't the same blankets he usually had on his bed.

He felt a strange breeze as well as that had an unnatural smell that definitely didn't belong in his room.

He felt sore, like he had been sleeping on the floor for a week straight. As he tried to rolled over he felt a pain in his arm.

Dipper opened his eyes and found himself staring at white ceiling. He took a deep breath in and smelt what smelt like rubbing alcohol.

Dipper began to look around and saw an IV hooked up to his right arm. He looked at his left arm and found it in a cast. He then looked down and noticed flowers and cards on the table at the end of his bed. He also noticed his left leg in a cast as well.

Dipper looked around the room and saw he was in the hospital, he saw that he was the only person in the room. He could hear the faint beeping sounds of his heart monitor.

If Dipper was being honest, it took him a few minutes to even remember what had happened.

The island! Dipper sat up quickly.

He looked around desperately for any sign of Bill.

He wanted to scream for Bill, but found that he couldn't due to the breathing tube shoved down is throat.

He tried to see if he could stand but couldn't hardly move with his broken arm and leg. So instead, he thrashed around, panicking, in his hospital bed.

It wasn't until the door opened that Dipper calmed down, locking eyes with the figure in the doorway.

Mabel.

Dipper wanted to say something but still couldn't. Mabel's eyes began to water, she turned towards the door and yelled for the nurse before walking quickly to Dipper's bedside and throwing her arms around him, hugging him tightly, making Dipper wince in pain.

Mabel noticed his discomfort and quickly backed off.

"Oh shoot, sorry, I forgot about your sunburns...and your arm. It's just..." Mabel said before breaking down in tears.

"We thought you were dead!" She said, crying heavily.

The nurse came in and removed Dipper's breathing tube as him and Mabel cried.

The nurse was going to say something, but sensed it wasn't a good time, deciding to give the twins their privacy.

"Mabel...where's Bill?" Dipper asked quietly, his voice hoarse.

Mabel looked at him confused.

"What do you mean?" She said, "The boy you met on the cruise?"

Dipper's felt his heart sink.

She should know who I'm talking about...

Mabel handed Dipper a glass of water as they talked. Dipper took it, grateful for it.

"Y-Yeah...he was stranded on the island with me." Dipper said softly.

Mabel's eyes widened.

"Dipper...they didn't bring anyone else back." Mabel said slowly.

Dipper felt his body go numb, his glass of water slipped from his grasp and spilled all over him. He didn't care.

"But we...he...he was there with me...he was hurt...I went to-I went to find water and I...I left him." Dipper said slowly, hot tears running down his face.