Chapter 7: Alpha, Beta

I hit a mental block, then realised a better idea. Then, this chapter decided to go for a walk and come back unannounced.

Friday, the day of the midterms.

Most of the class is cheerful and upbeat, testing each other on facts and speculating what questions there will be. Some of us, including me, are sitting in our seats not bothering.

For me, my dilemma is to work out how much to score. I need to look like I tried... right?

I'm sure someone in the class is keeping track of everyone's scores and will chase you down if you somehow got the exact same score.

There is the chance of it being brought down to complete coincidence.

Although for me, that probably won't work.

The door passed, and Hoshinomiya-sensei entered the room with a calm aura around her. Everyone scrambles to hybrid seats as she opens her briefcase, taking out a stack of paper.

"This is your first true obstacle for staying in this school. I hope you've all revised! Any questions?"

"This isn't a question, but we'll all pass. I'm sure of it."

"Considering you're Class B, I would have hoped so anyway. Looks like everyone's here at least."

"This tests will continue through the whole day - as you have heard - so make sure you have something during the breaks you get."

Everyone looked on with confidence as the sheets were handed out. First test: English. Aiming to get the hardest out of the way first.

"If no one fails, you'll get to go on a nice summer vacation on an island!"

"Vacation?"

"Yeah, on a tropical island, taken there by a luxury cruise ship in the hot July summer surrounded by crystal-clear water— you get the gist."

Huh. That means seeing girls' swimsuits and exposed skin—

"Alright, begin!"

I quickly scanned over the problems. Seems simple enough. This whole day should be passable. Looking around, it seems like no one's struggling.

The second and third period passed by with Chemistry and Social Studies. I took my time on deciding which questions I wanted to answer. It's amusing, and a good option to entertain yourself. But if you lose yourself, then you don't answer anything at all.

It seems like a few people crammed their revision sessions this morning. The person next to me, I judged, didn't and actually took their time studying over a period of time.

It's such a great thing we were informed about the test changes. A few days' extra revision is worth a lifetime in some people's eyes.

I am not in that 'some' category.

Break passed, then awaited maths came knocking at the door. I'll see how this school plays.

Will there be hard questions? Well, I assume there will be. And then I'll solve them. And I'll find this school's game.

1

The bell ring, signalling the end of the day. An end to a day of tests. It's exactly what's needed at the end of a week.

I sigh to myself and aim to get out of the class. I've figured out what games the school's throwing at us. Three extremely hard questions sit at the back of the maths paper, and I will bet there is in every single one there is in this school.