Chapter 1: The Not-So Dream Vacation

PLEASE READ:
I made some OCs back in Volume 1 Chapter 3 and never used them, so this is a perfect time to throw new characters into the mix because as you all know, only two characters exist canonically in Class B: Ichinose and Kanzaki. I'll mark OCs with a * on their first appearance. Don't worry, I won't overuse them... probably.

Also, I forget how long and tedious the exam explanations always are. Have fun reading!

"When I say your name, please respond loud and clear! That includes you, Ayanokōji-kun!"

Hoshinomiya-sensei started taking attendance while also, slightly failing, to get us to form a line. She wore a plain white top, different to the rest of the teachers who were in the same jersey as me. She stuck out like a sore thumb.

"Oh, come on! What's the deal with this?!" a student grumbled.

Most students wanted to run off onto the sandy beach. However, as soon as the student complained, Class A's homeroom teacher, Mashima-sensei, stepped onto a white platform.

"First, I would like to say that I'm happy you've arrived safely. However, it's unfortunate that one of you was unable to participate due to illness."

Participate?

A small murmur started to rise, and I could make out words of remorse.

Looking around, the teachers seemed rather grim. Perhaps because they had to view this as a job.

No.

That's not true.

Some adults in uniform seemed to be setting up a special tent with a computer and equipment on a long table. It had an increasingly unnatural feel to it, confusing many students.

Then all hell broke loose.

"Well then. We shall commence the current academic year's first special test."

None of the teachers moved.

"Special test?"

Almost everyone asked the exact same question.

Turns out the summer vacation was only an illusion to disguise this.

"The test commences now and lasts for one week, concluding on August 7th. This test will determine if you can live on a deserted island together as a group. This test is both practical and realistic. This is proper training."

"Does this mean we're staying on this island?"

"Not the boat, what was all that for then?"

Some students from my class and Class C voiced their obvious concerns.

"You are correct. You now cannot board the ship without a suitably justifiable reason. You will need to fend for yourselves while you are here. Each class will receive two tents and two flashlights, with one box of matches. You will need to make your shelter and prepare food yourselves.

There is no limit to the amount of sunscreen you can. Each student will be provided one toothbrush. As a special case, girls will be allowed to have as many feminine sanitary products as they'd like, without any restrictions. Please ask your respective homeroom teachers for those. Your teachers will go through other briefs after all the items have been handed out."

With that, the teachers began distributing the items.

"Alright guys! We need to formulate a plan to get ahead of all the other classes! This is a 'test' so there is bound to be competition!" Hitting the nail on the head, Ichinose quickly calmed the class and got everyone organised, with Kanzaki sorting out the equipment.