~eleven~

Alena's POV

I open the door of dad's office and walk in, Angana following behind me.

"Good morning girls," he greets us, smiling as soon as we step inside.

"Dad," Angana nods.

"Hi dad," I say, yawning.

I am not a morning person at all. I can stay up all night doing anything but can't sleep at night. While in the morning I get the best sleep. And sadly, I have to come to work every morning. It sucks to wake up everyday even though my eyes would shut down anytime.

I can sleep anytime in the day except at night.

We walk forward and sit at the two chairs placed in front of him, across the table.

"Did you sleep well last night?" Dad asks, looking at me.

"Um yeah-" I yawn again.

"Your yawning isn't helping to prove your point though," Angana snickers while sitting at my right. I turn towards her and glare at her.

"Shut up," I say. She smirks towards me.

I lay my head comfortably on the headrest of the cushioned chair and my eyes automatically close. The air feels cold and everything feels so perfect. 

"So Alena, you have to go to the 'International Convention of Gearheads' next week." As soon as these words leave my father's mouth, my eyes snap open and I wide eyed look at him in shock.

He looks at my reaction and continues, "I know what you will say but-"

"Dad, please don't do this to me. I don't wanna go," I plead and might I add, I whine too.

I don't wanna meet people and I surely don't wanna go to some shitty convention.

"Listen to me sweetie," he says, calmly. "You have to go this year, gearheads and scientists all over the world are gonna come. You are the most qualified person here to represent us," he explains.

"But I hate people. I don't know how to have or make conversations. I will mess everything up," I say, already feeling anxious.

"I can go," I hear Angana say.

"No you can't. It has to be Alena," dad says to her sternly. He turns towards me with pleading eyes to go. "Sweetheart, you have to go."

I can't go. I will make a total fool of myself in front of everyone. There will be people of different ranks there, I will totally mess myself up. If I do anything wrong, the whole cult will be ashamed.

This is a huge responsibility but it is also a huge chance to showcase my talent. But my negligible interaction with people can ruin it completely.

But I can't let dad down. He trusted me enough to go to this convention. I have avoided this for years now and he never forced me but this time he really wants me to go. He thinks I am the only person who suits there. But I don't know. I don't have a social life. I am an extra introvert. I have had only one friend my entire life.

The advantages and disadvantages balance each other out.

The sleep that was present in my eyes five minutes ago is long gone now.

It is not like I haven't gone to conventions before. They were small ones and dad would always be by my side. So I wouldn't be alone but this time I have to go on my own. ICG is a huge gathering which happens once every four years, I guess with lots of people. Lots of intelligent people. Thinking about so many people has started to give me a headache.