~twenty three~

TW-//burns.

"When you were here before
Couldn't look you in the eye
You're just like an angel 
Your skin makes me cry"

~Creep, Radiohead

Alena's POV

"So? How was it?" Dad asks as we enter the elevator together. He presses the button two floors above the basement and I press the basement button.

I lean up against the wall of the elevator, look up at him, smile and say, "I had a great time." Well, truly I did. The evening was very eventful and a lot of things happened in that span of five hours so collectively I can call it productive.

"Well I was expecting you to say that 'dad why would you do this to me?' but it's good to hear that you had a great time," he mocks and chuckles back at me.

"It was still filled with lots of people and was clumsy but it was okay." I grin, fumbling with my fingers.

"Awesome. I am so proud of you kiddo. These are the small steps you are taking to get over your fear of people." He smiles wide and pats my shoulder.

I look down at my shoes and nod. Before I have any chance to respond to him, the door opens and dad walks out. He turns around and waves at me. "See you later sweetheart."

He won't.

"Yea- yeah sure." I give him a tight-lipped smile and the door closes behind him. We hardly see each other at home or even here even if we work at the same building. The elevator descends down to the basement.

I feel very tired, my body swinging left and right. My feet dragging me towards my lab.

Last night's sleep seems not to be enough now. I feel sleepy. Maybe I will go home after work and take an afternoon nap or something. I feel weak.

I tap my passcode on the door and walk inside after it opens. I was expecting some alone time and peace in my lab but instead I am greeted with lots of laughter, making my head throb.

As I enter, all the eyes turn to me.

Angana and Louis sit on the rotating chair, gossiping and laughing their asses off. Why are they even here? In my lab? Don't these kids have anything else to do? I think about all this but don't object.

Harry is standing in front of a huge shelf where I keep the accessory elements to use, with his hands in his butt pocket. His head turns towards me. He goes still, his eyes slightly widen and then he turns back towards the shelf, observing it.

"At last you are here." Louis grabs my attention. I walk towards them, drag a chair and sit beside them.

"It's my lab. I can be here anytime," I simply say.

He rolls his eyes. "Well... " he says sheepishly, bouncing on his chair in uncontrolled excitement.

"Well what?" I ask, resting my head on the headrest and closing my eyes, trying to relax.

"Guess who got an offer of free drinks at the Krion club?" He proudly asks, excitement lacing his voice.

I open my left eye and peek at him. "I am taking a wild guess and gonna say you." I sigh and close my eyes again. I blindly pick at my nail beds.

"Isn't that so exciting?" Angana squeals. "He is taking us with him."

"Nice. Have fun," I say, bored. I couldn't care less what they do. Angana is in college and loves going to parties, so does Louis. He doesn't act more than a seven year old.