Chapter 13: A Glimpse Into The Past

"You're supposed to help us." Stoke added.

"We hired you." Caben chimed in.

"We have nowhere to go." Omera mentioned.

"Please!" Stoke exclaimed.

"Sure you do. This is a big planet. I mean, I've seen a lot smaller." Cara pointed out.

"My grandparents seeded these ponds." Caben argued.

"It took generations." Stoke chimed in.

"I understand. I do. But there are only three of us." Cara argued.

Stoke shook his head. "No, there's not. There's at least 20 here."

Caben nodded. "Yeah."

"I mean fighters. Be realistic." Cara shot back.

"We can learn." Stoke stated.

"Give us a chance!" Another villager pleaded.

"I've seen that thing take out entire companies of soldiers in a matter of minutes." Cara informed them.

We watched as the villagers exchanged looks, murmuring amongst each other. Omera spoke for all the villagers. "We're not leaving."

"You cannot fight that thing." Cara warned.

"So what? We're just gonna give up?" I protested. "Cara, surely we can do something. I'll fight to the end."

"We'll join you!" A couple of villagers exclaimed, looking excited to help me.

Cara looked at me in disbelief. "You will die in vain."

"Maybe they won't, we show them." Mando advised.

So with that, we gathered all the adult villagers in front of their ponds. That's when Mando began to explain what they were dealing with. "You got two problems here. You got the bandits, and you got the mech. We'll handle the AT-ST, but you gotta protect us when they come out of the woods. And I don't have to tell you how dangerous they are. Cara Dune here was a veteran. She was a drop soldier for the Rebellion, and Miranda Rambeau here is an agent, she's done covert operations, dealing with many dangerous threats. They're both gonna lay out a plan for you, so listen carefully."

I cracked a smile, happy he remembered all that about me. Cara then began. "Now, there's nothing on this planet that can damage the legs on this thing, so we're gonna build a trap. We're gonna need to dig real deep, right here, so that when it steps in, it drops. The three of us will hit their camp."

"We'll provoke them. That'll bring the fight out of the forest and down here to us." I chimed in.

"I'm gonna need you to cut down trees and build barricades along these edges. I need it high enough so that they can't get over, and strong enough so that it can't break through." Mando advised.

So with that, the villagers got to work, making the trap in the lakes and putting up the barricades made of wood. Once they finished the trap and barricades, they gathered around us to begin their training.

"Okay. Who knows how to shoot?" Mando asked.

Out of all the villagers only Omera raised her hand. And with that, the Mandalorian took out his cases filled with blaster pistols, rifles, and other types of blasters. While the Mandalorian helped a group of villagers with shooting, Cara helped a group fight together as a batch of soldiers. Meanwhile I helped the rest of the villagers fight hand to hand combat. The villagers were reluctant to learn, but fortunately there was one villager, who timidly made her way towards me. I gave her a gentle smile.