Chapter 21: You Are Not My Mother

With that, he walked off the ship. I remained up in the cockpit, sitting in the pilot's chair. I could do anything and everything I set my mind to. Just like when I was back at the S.H.I.E.L.D. Academies, how she'd run around to each of the three Academies of S.H.I.E.L.D. It was a full schedule, taking way more than they recommended, but I knew I could handle it. 

On Mondays, I'd start the day with Human Behavior and Body Language at nine, Dance Elective at eleven, and finally I would end the day with BioTech, which started at four. On Tuesdays, I'd start the day with Tactile Training at eight, Languages at eleven, Quantum Physics at one, and Computing at three. On Wednesdays, I had Weapons Training at nine, Advanced Encryption at twelve, and Data Analysis at one. On Thursdays, I had Research and Development at nine, Covert Operations at eleven, and Tech and Weaponry at one. And finally on Fridays, I had Debate at eleven, History of S.H.I.E.L.D. at one, and Intelligence and Security Training at three.

I tried to take as many classes in the morning or early afternoon. I was the only one to be accepted into the three S.H.I.E.L.D. academies, which was an honor...and yet, it was a struggle at times. I still wore my uniform from the Academy of Operations as I rushed into one of the labs in the Science and Technology Academy, finding Leo and Jemma, who were both there, arguing with each other. The three of us first met in Chemical Kinetics.I had become great friends with both of them, but I couldn't get them to see eye to eye.

"Professor Bejarano specifically told us that the project needs to be a research topic from our list." Jemma reminded him.

"Or a trending issue in the world." Leo argued.

"What are you two doing here? Class doesn't start until another hour." I mentioned, rather baffled.

I watched as Leo and Jemma exchanged a look. At the same time both of them blurted out. "I want you as my partner for the project."

I stared at the both of them, completely taken back. Oh boy, this wasn't good. Immediately, I intervened, taking the role of peacekeeper. "All right, so who wants to do what for the project?"

"Well, I'd like to barcode DNA of a couple plants." Jemma mentioned.

"And I would like to do something to do with renewable energy tech or 3D printed of tissue development." Fitz chimed in.

Why did they have to be so different? I let out a sigh. "Why can't we do something in between that way we can do something you both are interested in?"

"But we can only have one partner on this project." Jemma explained.

"Yeah, which means you have to choose between one of us." Leo chimed in.

"Don't worry, I'll talk to Bejarano about that." I assured them.

"Ah, yes, you and your powers of persuasion. Did you learn that from the Academy of Operations?" Leo teased.

I snorted. "Ha, ha, and no. I'm not sure exactly where I learned it from, but it works...just not on everyone. Believe me, I've tried."

I cracked a smile at the memory. Leo and Jemma were practically rivals, but after that project of urging them to be a team and friends, instead of rivals, they became the best of friends. I always knew they were a perfect team. R8 let out a beep, snapping me out of my thoughts. I turned to face him. He let out a few low beeps, asking if I was all right. I fought back tears as I shook my head. "No...I'm not okay, R8. I'm exhausted, I miss my mom, all these past memories as Ayla Shan is overwhelming as if my past memories weren't bad enough already, and Mando pisses me off."