Chapter 23: The Mistake

Once we saw the opening of the tunnel, Karga's eyes lit up. "That's it. We're free!"

Mando shook his head. "No, we're not. Stormtroopers. They're flanking the mouth of the tunnel. It looks like an entire platoon."

"They must know we're coming." I pointed out.

"Stop the boat." Cara ordered. She then spun around to see the droid still moving the boat. "Hey, Droid, I said stop the boat. Hey! I'm talking to you. I said stop!"

The droid let out a few beeps, informing us that he couldn't stop the boat. Cara grew frustrated as she stormed over towards the droid, blasting its head off. However, that did nothing as we continued to move.

"We're still moving." Karga stated.

"Looks like we fight." Cara stated.

"There are too many." Din argued.

"Then what do you suggest? 'Cause I can't surrender." Cara retorted.

"They will not be satisfied with anything less than the child. This is unacceptable. I will eliminate the enemy and you will escape." The IG mentioned.

"You don't have that kind of firepower, pal. You wouldn't even get to daylight." Din retorted.

"That is not my objective." IG replied.

"We're getting close. Saddle up." Cara urged.

"I still have the security protocols from my manufacturer. If my designs are compromised, I must self-destruct." The IG explained.

"What're you talking about?" Din asked, sounding baffled.

"I am not permitted to be captured. I must be destroyed." IG clarified.

"Are we gonna keep talking, or we get out of here?!" Karga exclaimed.

The IG droid then handed Din his jet pack. "I can no longer carry this for you. Nor can I watch over the child."

My eyes widened. "Wait. You can't self-destruct."

"Your base command is to watch the child. That supersedes your manufacturer's protocol, right? Right?" Din asked.

"This is correct." IG confirmed.

"Good. Now, grab a blaster and help us shoot our way out." Din advised.

"Victory through combat is impossible. We will be captured. The child will be lost. Sadly, there is no scenario where the child is saved, in which I survive." IG mentioned.

My heart dropped. He's going to sacrifice himself...so we could escape. Din wasn't taking no for an answer as he insisted. "Listen, you're not going anywhere. We need you. Let's just come up with a..."

"Please tell me the child will be safe in your care. If you do so, I can default to my secondary command." IG insisted, cutting him off.

"But you'll be destroyed." I pointed out.

"And you will live, and I will have served my purpose." IG stated.

Din shook his head. "No. We need you."

"There is nothing to be sad about. I have never been alive." IG pointed out.

Din scoffed. "I'm not sad."

"Yes, you are. I'm a nurse droid. I've analyzed your voice." IG shot back.

I let out a snicker, earning a look from Din. IG extended a hand out towards the child before making his way into the lava river.

"IG? What're you doing?" Karga inquired, completely baffled.

We then watched as he made his way to the entrance of the tunnel before he self-destructed, creating a huge explosion. The moment we reached the entrance of the tunnel, we saw the stormtroopers all on the ground, charred. All of the sudden, we saw a TIE fighter soaring through the sky towards us.