Chapter 15

"Myrtle!" Harry cried as they entered the bathroom. "What do you want, Harry?" She answered in her usual dreary manner. "We wanted to ask you if you remember how you died." Harry inquired.

"Well, I was in the stall just there crying because Olive Hornby was making fun of my glasses. I heard movement outside, so I came out of the stall to tell them to 'go away'. But, when I came out I came face to face with a large scaly creature. I looked into it's eyes and- just like that I was dead." Myrtle explained.

"Did you see where the creature came from?" Ron asked.

"It came from over there, by that sink." She answered, gesturing toward the sink in question.

"Thank you, Myrtle." Neville said.

"If the sink is the entrance to the Chamber, how do we get in?" Lockhart asked.

"I have a hunch," Harry replied. Harry walked up to the sink in question and spoke over it in parseltongue. "Open for me," Harry said to it. And moments later, the sinks moved to reveal the entrance to the Chamber.

"After you," Harry said to Lockhart.

"I really don't think-" Lockhart started before Ron pushed him into the tunnel at the entrance. They waited to here him hit the end of the slide-like tunnel. "I'm ok!" Lockhart shouted as he hit the bottom.

The boys followed, making their way into the Chamber.

The boys all had their wands out and pointed at Lockhart as they made their way down the narrow corridor. Eventually they made their way to a fork in the tunnel.

"Which way do we go?" Ron asked.

"Shh-" Harry said as he stepped forward to listen for the Basilisk. Harry was just picking up on the sound of the Basilisk, when the boys had let their guard down and Lockhart snatched Ron's wand.

"Say goodbye to your memories. Don't worry, people will know our story. They'll know how I was too late to save the girl, and how all of you lost your minds at the sight of her mangled body." Lockhart taunted before casting "Obliviate!"

All three boys ducked to avoid the spell, but they didn't need to, as the flash of white light had rebounded on Lockhart, due to the crack in Ron's wand. The spelled propelled Lockhart backward, slamming into the rocky wall behind him. The crash loosened the ancient stone walls, and several rocks crashed off the ceiling and onto the ground, separating Harry from the others.

"Is everyone ok?" Harry called back.

"Ron and I are fine!" Neville called. "Lockhart was out of the way from the rocks but he's not quite come to his senses yet."

Lockhart's eyes began to flutter open. "Who are you?" Lockhart turned to Ron and asked.

"Ron Weasley," Ron replied.

"And, um, who am I?" Lockhart asked.

"Lockhart hasn't got a clue who he is!" Ron called to Harry and Neville.

Neville took a deep breath as if trying to internalize something.

"I know what to do with him." Neville whispered solemnly to Ron.

"Harry, you go on and save my sister. We've got it covered here." Ron called back to Harry. "Ok," Harry said. "Try to move some of these rocks so that when I find her, we can get back."

'Good thing I'm on the right side of the fork' Harry thought, as he made his way deeper into the Chamber.
He continued to follow the sound of slithering until he reached a large, circular opening, with a huge statue of Salazar Slytherin against the wall opposite him. Laying on the floor in the center, was a nearly unconscious Ginny Weasley. Harry rushed to her side. "Harry... what happened..." Ginny said weakly.