Chapter 28

Claire and Pierce decided they would keep the news to themselves for the time being. Pierce could see that Claire was just coming to terms with it herself. He was elated. He was going to be a father. He wanted to shout from the top of his building. He wished Ethan were here to share in this. He would have been the only person he could tell. As it was, he couldn't trust Lena to hold water. The thought saddened him a little. He would have liked to share the news with her. In due time, he reminded himself.

Claire was amazed by how well he had taken the news. He doted on her hand and foot and acted as if she were now made of glass. She couldn't get up to get a drink without him there grabbing the cup out of her hand and demanding she rest while he got it. He had even offered to hire her a nursemaid. As if that were necessary this early on. She was not an invalid.

Shortly after their return from Costa Rica Pierce had decided to baby proof his house so it was currently a no safe zone, and they were sequestered at her house. She had caved and given him a key. He was about to be her child's father after all.

"Now, will you consider moving in with me?" He had asked one night as he crawled into bed beside her and pulled her into his embrace.

"I'll consider it." She promised.

"I mean we already have each other's keys now. Are we going to shuttle the baby back and forth?" He reasoned.

"I will consider it." She repeated herself as she tickled his ribs.

"Okay, okay. Hint taken." He laughed as he caught her hands and pinned her to the bed. He kept her there as he trailed kisses down her body until he reached the slight bump now noticeable at her waist. How had he missed it?

He placed a soft kiss to her stomach, reveling at the life they had created together now growing inside of Claire. "I'd like to come to your next appointment, if that's okay?"

Claire felt a smile tug at her lips. Tobias had always been too busy to attend her exams or birthing classes. She liked that Pierce made time for her. She felt prioritized and important. She placed a hand to his head, running her fingers through his thick tresses. "I'd like that too."

"How are you feeling?"

"Nervous." She admitted.

"Is it because of your previous pregnancy?" He pressed gently, cheek resting on her belly as he looked up at her. She chewed her bottom lip as she gave the barest of nods, not meeting his eyes. "Talk to me, Sugar. I can't help if I don't know what's bothering you."

"You do plenty." She finally looked at him. "You just being here helps in ways I can't even tell you... It's been really difficult for me to let anyone back in after what Tobias and Vicky did to me." She licked her lips. "You just let me be and accept me as I am, crazy and all."

"You're not crazy."

"I feel like it sometimes."

"I think we can all get pushed there, but you're no crazier than I am."

Claire looked down at him in admiration and love. It was getting more difficult for her to hide it. He wanted her to say it again, but he wouldn't rush her. He would wait forever to hear her utter those words to him again. She stroked his hair. "I've never met anyone who just got me before. No matter what I seem to be going through, you're just this ... boulder, this immovable mass that weathers the storm."

Pierce sat up and scooted closer so he could put an arm around her. "I will be whatever I need to be to keep you safe and happy. To keep you both safe and happy. "He placed a hand to her round tummy and kissed her cheek.

She turned to him then. "What did I do to deserve you?"

"You survived." He told her simply.

"I'm really sorry I keep taking my shit about Tobias out on you."