Going back home

Percy Pov

I was sitting on my hospital room's bed. The doctor was asking questions, about how I was feeling, he checked my senses, to see if they worked properly after getting an explosion to the face. I also figured out that a piece of wood pierced the small of my back, my Achilles point, and that, along with emotionally losing my anchor, it destroyed my curse. Jason was there to, god he looked so much different, well it has been 9 years. Blond hair, tall, muscled. Turns out, the rest of the family was there too, Uncle Sam, aunt Jane and a new family member I haven't met, Pearl Scott, she's my new cousin. She seemed shy when she met me, but overall she seems nice. I also got told what happened to my family, Paul was right next to the bomb, the explosion killed him instantly, my mom got a support beam dropped on her, then the floor caved beneath her, crushing her. But worst of all, my sister, went into a coma and the doctors don't know if she'll wake up.
"Mr Jackson, mr Jackson." The doctor said, trying to get my attention.
"Huh, sorry, just thinking." I told him.
The doctor sighed and looked at me.
"I understand this is hard for you, Mr Jackson, but may you please pay attention, so we can get you out of here as quick as possible." The doctor replied.
"Yeah, go ahead doc."
"Are you still feeling any pain on your left side?" The doc questioned.
"Yeah, quite a lot." I answered.
"Well, we're going to have to keep you stitched up, and bandaged for a few months, then get them removed. Alright?" He asked.
"Yeah, I got it." I said, slightly exhausted.
"Good." The doc said.
He then left the room, and a few minutes later, Jason came back in.
"Hey Perce, I know this a dumb question but, you alright?" He asked.
I sighed.
"Honestly Jason, I have no idea. My mother and step-father are dead and my sister is in a coma that she might not wake up from, so honestly, I don't know."
"Yeah, like I said dumb question. Well, want to talk about living arrangements. Dad said you're welcome to live with us, we have an extra room and you can always visit your sister in the hospital." He said.
"What do you mean?" I asked confused, since my sister was going to be in New York.
"Oh right, never told ya. There moving your sister, to Angel Grove hospital. Something about her needing to be near the oldest next of kin or something." He answered.
I thought it over for a while, but ultimately, I knew there was only one option, Jason and the rest was going to accept, and that was that I live with them.
"You sure it's okay if I live with you guys?" I said cautiously.
"Yeah dude, your family, besides I've missed my best friend, like a lot." He answered.
"Haha, what, still need me to protect your scrawny ass from getting bullied?" I asked jokingly.
"Wow, that's just cold dude." He said in mock offence.
We both laughed, but then the door opened and the doctor along with Uncle Sam, Aunt Jane and Pearl, came in.
"Mr Jackson, your uncle has signed the documents to move your sister to angel grove, as her brother, we need yours too." The doctor said while handing me a clipboard with the document on and a pen. I signed instantly, the handed back the paper and pen.
"Thank you mister Jackson, just a few more hours and you'll be free to go." The doctor said happily, while leaving.
Once he closed the door, we all just sat in silence for a bit.
"I have a feeling he does not like me." I said amused.
Uncle Sam and Aunt Jane chuckled, pearl smiled and Jason full on laughed.

>>>

(A few hours later)

I was just leaving the hospital with Jason. Uncle Sam and the rest went home early, after an hour of convincing, that me and Jason will be fine. Me and Jason hopped in his truck, and he started driving out, so we can go to California.
Once we were on the highway, I looked at him, dead serious and asked, "So, you still a virgin?"
He started choking and wheezing and looked at me, as if saying are you serious?.
I started laughing, full on belly aching laughing. After a while, my stitches started to hurt, and I groaned in pain.
"Are you alright?" He asked concerned.
"Yeah I'm fine, your face was worth it. But you didn't answer my question." I said with a shit eating grin.
He sighed, "No, I'm not a virgin."
"Who was the girl?" I asked curiously.
"God I hate you, it was with Sarah." He answered.
"Sarah? Sarah McLough? Bitchy, whiney, had a crush on me Sarah McLough?" I said with a look of surprise and a disbelieving tone.
"Yes, Sarah McLough, alright. I was at a party, we were both drunk and it just happened, you know. What about you? You still a virgin?" He asked.
"Jason, I've had 2 girlfriends in the span of 2 years. You do the math." I said in an matter of fact tone.
"Who was the girl?" He questioned.
"Rachel Evelyn Dare. We were at a drive in movie theatre and, yeah." I told him.
"Dare?! As in Austin Oswald Dare, the richest man in New York. That Rachel Dare?!" He asked incredulously.
"Yeah... he was... not fucking happy when he found out." I said.
"Would you? I mean, would you be happy if some guy you've never met banged your daughter." He questioned.
"Fuck no, if I ever have a daughter, she's not gonna know what boys are! She will forever be a damn virgin!" I told him.
At that we both chuckled and fist bumped.
"Oh, I forgot to ask, what in holy hell is this?" He asked, while gesturing to the strip of white in my hair.
"Oh yeah, I dyed it when I was 14 as a dare. I liked the look of it so I kept. You like it?" I asked.
"Fuck yeah, looks cool as hell." He said.
After he said that, we sat in silence for a while, before I said. "Hey, we haven't seen each other in, what, nine years. We've obviously changed a lot. So why don't we ask each other questions, to get to know each other better again?" I asked him.
"Alright, I'll go first. What is your favourite colour?" He asked simply.
"It's white, yours?" I questioned.
"Red, duh. Uhh, skills?"
"Well, I'm a great swimmer, a decent archer, I can also use a sword, I took fighting lessons for a few years, I'm good at football, I can sing, dance and I also took acrobatics class in middle school." I told him. He looked at me like I was the best person on the planet.
"I'm only good at one of those things, and it's football... whatever your turn." He said.
"Umm, what's Pearl like?"
"Why'd you want to know?" He asked intrigued.
"Is it wrong that I want to get my new cousin better?" I asked.
"Guess not. Well she's a bit shy around new people, but once she gets to know you, she will love you forever. She likes playing round with her friends. She is the sweetest girl you'll ever meet... she also has a bit of an unhealthy obsession with dolls." He said, the last part with a bit of hesitation.
I slowly turned my head towards him, a look of pure horror on my face. He quickly noticed my look and scoffed.
"C'mon dude, you aren't still scared of dolls are you? You're seventeen." He said in a disbelieving voice.
I looked at his as if he just said the stupidest thing ever.
"Jason, I will NEVER stop being scared of dolls. The big baby heads, creepy child voice, dead soulless eyes." I said, while shivering at the last part.
"Alright my turn, you got a girlfriend?" He asked.
At this I hesitated a bit, but decided to tell him.
"No... well not anymore, broke up, like 3 days ago actually." I told him.
"Oh sorry dude, that sucks." He said with a bit of a regretful tone.
"Don't be, never would've worked out. Her mom and my dad hated each other." I quickly reassured him.
"You met your dad, I thought he bailed?" He said with a surprised face.
"Yeah, turns out he and my mom had a one night stand. He left before my mom woke up, not knowing she was pregnant with me. Met him when I was 12, he's actually a really nice guy. Met his family too, his wife and son, my half-brother, hate me, as do his two brothers. Met his sisters, they're pretty nice. My uncle, his younger brother, is a total man-whore, cheating on his wife with every hot woman he meets. She pretty much hates him at this point, only stays with him because she was pretty much forced into it, and doesn't cheat on him because she wants to prove she's better than him. My grandfather is a real dick, tried to kill me once actually, he's in prison now. Never met my grandma, but I heard she was one of the nicest people ever." I said. I felt extremely guilty for lying but I couldn't tell him the truth, not yet at least.
"Well damn Perce, sounds like you have had a shit life. You're grandfather tried to kill you! Also, forgot to ask, what's this?" He asked while gesturing to his neck.
"Oh that's my amulet. It was a birthday present from my aunt Hestia. It's a family heirloom, said to have been given to some of my Ancient Greek ancestors by the gods when their village was slaughtered, the gods gave it to them to be able to protect their village, whoever wears it is supposed to have the heart of a dragon. It's supposed to make you stronger, better than everyone else. It's also said to hold a powerful weapon inside, which my ancestors used to protect the village and its people." I told him, while he had a look of curiosity on his face.
"Oh, well that's an interesting story, definitely eventful." He said after a moment of silence.
I chuckled at his response.
"Hey wanna stop up here, there's a fast food joint." He asked, and before I could reply, my stomach growled.
I blushed embarrassed, as he chuckled and pulled into Burger King.
We both left the truck and entered the Place.
The place only had about five people inside it. We walked up to the counter, where there was a guy who looked about 17, had piercings and had a bored look on his face.
"Welcome, to BK, where you have it your way, can I take your order?" He asked in a bored voice.
"Yeah, can I get a large Rodeo burger with, large fries and a pepsi. What do you want Jase?" I said.
"Uh, I'll have a triple whopper, fries and a coke." He told the cashier.
"That'll be 11 dollars and 37 cents. Please wait over there for your order," he said.
We did as he said and went to find a table.
"Hey, just remembered to ask, is Leo's pizza still open?" I asked.
"Yeah, actually they opened up a second one, on the other side of town." Jase replied.
"Good, good... Leo's is the best. It's even better then New York pizza, and they also have the best fries."
"ORDER 12!" The cashier yelled.
"That's us. Back in a sec." Jason said.
He got up and walked over to the counter to collect our food.
As he was getting the food, I looked out the window and saw something in the forest, but a soon as it was there it disappeared.
I looked back over at Jason, and saw him coming back over. He placed the tray of food on the table and sat down.
"Here you go dude, 1 rodeo burger, large fries and a Pepsi, god, I wish I could eat like this all the time."
I chuckled at that, but instantly felt a pang of guilt in my chest.
Here I was, sitting down with Jason, eating Burger King, while laughing and smiling, while mom and Paul are dead, and Stella is in a coma. I shouldn't be having fun, it's my fault, if I hadn't gone out for a wa-"Stop." Jason said, interrupting my thoughts.
"Stop what?" I asked.
"Stop blaming yourself."
"I'm no-"
"We may not have seen each other for 9 years Percy, but I still know when you're lying, hell I know what you're thinking."
"Then what am I thinking Jason?" I said in an irritated tone.
"Your thinking that it's your fault, that if you hadn't gone on that walk, you could've gotten them out. You can't think like that Percy, what if you had been there, asleep, when the bomb went off. You would've been dead too, so would your sister since you're the one who saved her. You have to stop thinking of what could've happened Percy, focus on what did, and where you'll go from there." Jason said wisely.
After he said that I just sat there staring at my food for a solid minute, before I started chuckling, then the chuckling turned to laughter, then I started laughing so hard my stomach hurt.
"What could you possibly be finding funny right now?" Jason asked incredulously.
"I'm... sorry but, we're sat here... in a Burger King, eating greasy ass burgers and cold as ice fries having a heart to heart moment, about my mom and step-dad." I said in between laughs.
He then started chuckling.
"Yeah you see, that's the mentality you should have. Be positive, happy Percy. Not negative, depressed Percy, no one likes that Percy."
"Yeah, I get that I have to be positive... it just hurts." I said.
"I get it dude. No one is saying you're gonna be fine right away, but you still have to have a life Perce, if you don't I know your mom and step-dad would be pretty pissed."
"Haha, yeah they would be. Actually she'd probably be the shit outta me." I said in a joking voice.
"Yeah, so get your head out your ass, and live." He said.
"When did you get so wise?" I said, amusement clear in my tone.
"Probably when you left... you took all the stupid with ya." He said in a joking manner.
We both laughed at that.
A couple of minutes later, we finished our food, payed and got back into the truck and onto the highway.