THIRTY-FIVE (Special Chapter)

This part of the story is told through Maui's perspective/point-of-view (POV).

Florence entered into the place with her natural radiance, like a ray of sunshine in a gloomy morning, wearing a pale yellow flowy dress. I was waiting for her here in the roof deck of a restaurant, which I rented just so we could talk privately.

She simply smiled as she walked towards me. I stood up to meet her and pull a seat for her across mine.

For a moment, no one between us utters a word. Maybe, we're waiting for each other to initiate a conversation. I'm kinda' feeling jittery, and awkward. But I invited her over, and she decided to come. So I thought I have to make this moment worthwhile.

"I...uh, ordered for us." I tried not to stammer on my words, but I did. Like a school boy in front of his childhood crush.

"S-salamat." Ngumiti siya na para bang nahihiya, o naiilang? I can't figure out, but maybe a combination of the two. I can't blame her as I feel the same way.

"Kumusta ka?" tanong ko.

"Okay naman. Kararating ko lang din, mga dalawang linggo pa lang ang nakararaan." She looked around before she turned to me again, "Ahmm...alam ba 'to ng...ng asawa mo?"

"Yes, she knows. No worries." I assured her.

"Mabuti naman." I saw relief in her face.

"Does Frank know?" Ako naman ang nagtanong.

She nodded her head. "Oo, alam niyang magkikita tayo."

"So you're together now?" I don't know if it's appropriate to ask, but I did, anyway.

"Kung ang ibig mong sabihin ng "together" ay kung may relasyon na kami, wala," sagot niya sa akin.

"But why?" I wondered. They are with each other most of the time. I know, because Frank and I are still in the same work space. I also knew that he's been flying to Dubai frequently when Florence was there. Of course, he says it's business but everybody knows that it's not the main reason.

"Ang totoo kasi, natatakot ako," she admitted.

"Saan?" And like the very transparent person that she is, I really saw fear cross her eyes.

"Na masaktan ulit," that was a confession from her that I didn't expect.

"Frank is a good person, and he truly loves you," I told her. "He will surely take care of you."

"'Yan din ang sinabi niya sa 'kin tungkol sa 'yo. No'ng...no'ng pinili kita noon," pagkasabi ni Florence noon ay napayuko siya.

Guilt tore my heart upon seeing her in that way. "I'm really sorry, Florence. I really am. That's why I wanted to talk to you, and I'm really grateful that you came over. I hope you find it in your heart to forgive me."

"Bakit kasi naniwala ka na ako ang sumabotahe sa LDC?" she innocently asked, but with sadness in her face.

Before I could even answer her question, the cafe's staff served the food before us. I just looked at her while she smiled and thanked the staff, wishing I could tell her that I really didn't believed that accusation. Not at all. I just used the situation as an scapegoat to end our relationship, because I had too.