Chapter 28

Maxon and I were rushing in the hallway, following the guard.

He seemed pretty worried.

" What is happening Officer ?" Maxon asked him.
" I can't tell you here, your Majesty, but I am leading you to the control room." He told him.

The control room was underground.

It's a place where there are huge screens on the walls, with technicians working on computers every day.

There are security cameras placed all over the country, in each town, and we use them to check if everything's alright.

I went there once, when I became queen two years ago and I visited every single room of the palace.
I didn't have to, but I wanted to.

I saw every official rooms, technical ones, the kitchens, the post office, the stable, the laundry room, the place where maids make my dresses, and the basement.

I know the control room was quite useful when they were rebels attacks in the country, but we haven't had any since Maxon's and I marriage.

I think it was still useful of course : we always needed to check the security and there are always problems.

I was wondering why would they ask for Maxon.

As we arrived underground, there were no windows, so the lights were a bright white.

It was so bright, I felt my eyes stinging a little, as my vision got blurry.

After my eyes got used to the light, I could finally see what was happening here : there were people everywhere, running from room to room, crossing the white hallway.

" Follow me, your Majesties." The guard told us, with a hand movement, as he started walking quickly to a black door.

It read " Staff only. Do not enter without permission."

The guard took a badge out of his pocket and slide it on a white case, with numbers on it.

The light turned green, and the door opened.

We walked into a small room, with another door in front of us.

The first door closed, as the guard took out another badge, repeated the same action as the first time, and the second door opened.

The moment I saw the inside of the room, I felt immediately worried.

There were these big screens on the walls, with a lot of different videos from different places, appearing as squares on the giant screens.

The staff working here was talking loudly, as other were typing on computers in the back of the room.

The minutes they saw us in the room, they stopped everything they were doing.

" Ah ! Your Majesty !"

It was Aspen.

" Hello, General Leger. Could you please tell me what is going on ?" Maxon asked him, worried, as Aspen made a hand movement toward the staff to tell them to keep working.
" To make it fast, some security men saw this morning, at 9 am some people gathering together in Belcourt. They seemed like they knew what they were doing." He started.

People were gathering ?
In the morning ?
For what ?

" That's where the technician heard guns shots." Aspen said.
" Gun shots ?" Maxon asked him, surprised.
" Yes, your Majesty. They started shooting... but not on anyone, just in the air. It seems like the wanted to get people's and the palace attention." Aspen continued.