Part Seven: A Brick

Lila's POV

3:19 pm

Marinette was sitting on the wooden bench she was last time with her supplies. This time, however, she was crying onto her sequined pink notebook. I didn't think she noticed me, so I tiptoed closer. When I was about five feet away, she pulled out her phone and looked at the texts I sent her. Then, she looked up and her eyes inflated to the size of tennis balls.

"Change of plans," she tried to snap angrily through tears, which is pretty much impossible. "We'll work on our project today alone. You better get some work done."

I don't know what it was, but there was something about the look on her face that that just begged me to make her happy again, to cheer her up. So I tried. In a very "Lila" way, of course, but I still tried!

"What happened?" I asked. Looking back, considering the situation of our relationship, asking what happened was probably the worst thing I could've said.

"Like I'd tell you, Lie-la," Marinette spat. I rolled my eyes. I saw her hand grabbing a crumpled up letter in slow motion and pulling it towards her. I also may have noticed the crimson red heart drawn on the side that was facing me... and the phrase To: Adrien <3 on that side as well. Goddamn, I knew Marinette wasn't a spectacular liar but seriously? This is how bad she is?! I gotta teach her or something someday. Maybe when she doesn't hate me, if that ever happens. Unlikely.

We sat in a moment of silence. I looked at Marinette. She was still crying, but not as much. She was pretending to write something on her notebook as a way of saying "THIS CONVERSATION IS OVER!". On the other hand, I was thinking of what to say to keep up the conversation.

"So?" I said. Marinette looked up at me, confused. "What do you mean, so?"

"So what if Adrien rejected you," I replied calmly. Marinette's face turned into mashed potatoes made with disgust and anger. 

"I loved him," she said coldly, looking me dead in the eyes. I sighed.

"Can you name one thing he's interested in that his father didn't choose for him?" I asked. "Can you think of one time he's made you laugh? Can you name a time when he held an interesting and witty conversation about anything?" My words hit Marinette like a lightning bolt. She though for a minute, then spoke.

"I guess not," she said.

"Exactly," I finished. "Adrien's like a brick. He would be wet clay if his father hadn't molded him into someone with a personality." She laughed at my comparison, but then stiffened as if to say "Oh no, I laughed at Lila's joke! Why did I do that?" I guess my joke was that darn good.

"Why do you spend so much time with Adrien, then, if you think he's like a brick?" she asked.

"Look, Adrien's the popular kid, right? If I'm his friend, I have pretty good power over the school," I answered honestly. "It's not like you have a choice when you're trying to manipulate people."

Marinette inched away from me, disgust taking control. I giggled.

"Marinette, we both know what kind of game I'm playing already," I said. I mean, she didn't forget, did she?

"I guess we do," she said. She turned away and packed up her stuff and left. For some reason, I felt disappointed that she turned away. I guess I just wanted her to admit that Adrien was a brick because, I'm not really wrong, am I? I wouldn't waste my time on him if I had a choice.