PART ELEVEN

FUNERAL FOR A WEREWOLF

Officer Nolan arrived at the station as usual on time for his regular shift. One of his co-workers called out 'Hey frogman, boss wants you as soon as possible'. Nolan was well used to the frog remarks, with having Kermit as a first name, it is something he expects and doesn't take personally. It is usually something thrown about in good keeping so it's all good.

Kermit's boss informed him that he had the rest of the morning and afternoon off due to the fact he had an official unofficial job for him that night. Mills laboratories on the outskirts of town required an armed guard to stay overnight with a lone scientist who was on observation duties. For what exactly she was to be observing was something not up for discussion.

Having left the station and having taken a squad car with him, Kermit was held up at traffic lights at a crossroads. A funeral procession was passing. One individual in particular walking not far behind the hearse caught Kermit's attention.

Seth noticed the police car stopped at the traffic lights to his left. He and the officer locked eyes. There was something, some kind of force which compelled the locking of the eyes. It was as if something was coming, something which would involve them both, what that something is, would be unknown for at least one of them though it had a very serious feel to it.

***

A gathering crowd quickly settled in the church. Seth and his other group members sat together about ten rows back from the front of the church. Professor Edwards sat in the row behind them. Jason's family sat, obviously enough, at the front of the church, not many of those in attendance knew what they actually were.

For the second time that day someone grabbed Seth's attention. First it was the police officer at the traffic lights, and then the arrival of a man wearing sunglasses, a man who sat near the back of the church. To Seth the wearing of sunglasses inside a church meant one thing. This man also wore a dark suit, a red wine shirt and had dark shoulder length hair slicked back. The man also glanced over in Seth's direction and grinned. Professor Edwards notice the looks the two gave one another and felt a darkness of his own.

That man who had only just arrived was of course a man with whom Seth had yet to meet, it's his very own father Gabriel, for Gabriel was aware of the current danger to which his son was in, the danger to which led to the funeral they were both attending.

Not many of those in attendance would have been aware that there were Werewolves in the church, let alone Vampires or that the departed student was a Werewolf himself. Just as well a family were too distracted to take in their senses, otherwise things could easily have gone south fast.

Not long after the priest began the service, Professor Edwards moved to sit next to Gabriel and asked him what he was doing there. Gabriel asked the man who sat next to him if he knew with whom he was addressing. The Professor asked Gabriel not to insult his intelligence, the Professor was aware of a lot of things including who and what he was too.

'I am here to protect my son professor', Gabriel quietly spoke.

'Ah, I see you know who I am too, so nice of you to take interest in your son.'

'I have always kept more than just an interest in my son and if you actually knew of me you would know of that interest too.'

'Well, I have been active in protecting your son and I will continue to do so. You, well, you easily could have been a tad too late to protect anything.'

Gabriel grabbed the Professor's arm as the Professor got up to move away.

'I appreciate what you have done more than you know.'