01 New School

Angel Hartley stood in the mirror and held up two jackets. Both were black but one was leather and the other was jean. Today was her first day of high school, not that she actually cared. All she cared about was getting out of the house and school seemed as good an excuse as any.

"Do you have to wear that top?" a voice said from behind her. She turned to look at her older sister, though side by side it was hard to tell that they were even related. While Angel had dark brown hair and dark eyes, Cambrie was a blonde bombshell with bright green eyes, just like their dad. "Your whole back is exposed."

"You know I hate it when I can't-"

"Cambrie!" their father's voice boomed from downstairs. "You're going to be late for your first day at Sky High!"

"I'll be right there, daddy!" Cambrie called out the door. She looked at her sister and walked into the room, putting her hands on her sister's shoulders and smiling at her. She pushed some of the violet streaks of hair out of her Angel's eyes. "I just want you to have a great first day of school."

"I'll be fine," Angel said flatly, then patted her sister on the should. Cambrie took the hint and walked to the door still smiling.

"And put a bra on," she added before she walked out the door.

Once she was gone, Angel rolled her eyes and chose the jean jacket. She pulled it over her exposed arms, and back, then grabbed her bag and pulled it over her head.

She made her way downstairs and went straight to the fridge, grabbing a bottle of water. Behind her, her father was telling her sister to have a good day at school. Angel didn't pay it any mind and walked to the front door, leaving without a word.

Cambrie looked toward the front of the house, frowning as she heard her sister leave. She knew her little sister and father didn't get along very well, but she didn't even say bye. Or good morning for that matter.

"Cammie." She looked up to her dad and smiled again.

Their father was a hero like no other, known as The Eagle to the whole world. He was a flying hero who used his aerodynamics to fight villains and put a stop to their evil deeds. He had been asked to move to Maxville in hopes of finding underground villains or ones who had gone into hiding, which he had happily accepted.

"Keep an eye on your sister today," he said, voice serious and stern.

She continued to smile. "Of course, daddy."

He patted her on the shoulder and let her get going.

When she left the house, she saw her sister on the corner of the street, waiting on the bus. She jogged over, which caught her attention. "You know, we can go to school together, right?"

"I'll be fine taking the bus," Angel said, crossing her arms over her chest. She looked away from her sister and huffed. "Go ahead if you want."

Without another word, Cambrie walked on with a little sigh. Angel was left alone and out of the house, just as she liked it. The peacefulness of the moment didn't last long, however, as two teenagers approached the corner. She glanced their way, noticing the boy wore red, white, and blue, and the girl wore green with flower designs.

When they noticed her, they stopped talking and smiled at her. The boy threw up a hand to wave at her, which she didn't mirror.

"You waiting on the bus too?" he asked as he and his friend came to a stop beside her.

"What do you think?" Angel asked.

The girl kept smiling despite feeling awkward all of a sudden. She put out her hand in an attempt to ease the growing tension. "I'm Layla. This is Will."