Glorybringer - Finding Out

Dang, another Glorybringer oneshot? Unlike the first Glorybringer story I did, this will just be a oneshot, not a multi-shot.  Requested by sm-704233

For once, Glory couldn't seem to find Deathbringer anywhere.

She'd checked all over the RainWing village -- waking up most of her subjects to question them if they'd seen him, which they hadn't -- and even down in the NightWing village, even though quite a few NightWings still disliked the assassin.  Indeed, it seemed like he'd disappeared.

Glory landed on the dew-covered forest floor, still wet from the storm they'd experienced last night.  The rainforest had certainly needed it, but... Glory remembered how Deathbringer had seemed on edge, more protective of her than usual.  Was he scared of thunderstorms?

Glory shook out her wings, clearing them of the water that had dripped onto her back.  I've searched everywhere... where could Deathbringer be?  Suddenly, a thought struck the queen.  Glory began to think of every single "secret" spot she had, knowing that Deathbringer had probably sneakily followed her at least once to them.  The waterfall... the extra-shady grove of banana trees... she might as well try to look there.  The RainWing set off towards where she knew the waterfall was.  Come on, Deathbringer.  Please be there.  She hadn't felt this nervous for him -- for anyone -- in a long while.

*****

As it turned out, she didn't need to look that far -- Glory found Deathbringer before she even reached the waterfall.  The queen disguised her scales, blending with the leafy foliage around her.  She planned on sneak attacking Deathbringer, just for fun, until she noticed his slumped posture, looking down at something she couldn't see, under a large baobab tree.

What Glory couldn't see was a small white stone -- a collection of them, in fact -- that Deathbringer had collected over the years.  They were all in memory of his late mother, Quickstrike.  Every year, when the anniversary of her death rolled around, he would find another white stone, usually from a river or stream, and take it to the site.

Realizing how solemn her bodyguard seemed, Glory ditched her plan to sneak up on him.  Instead, the RainWing shifted her scales back to their normal colors and simply walked over to Deathbringer, sitting down beside him.  If the NightWing noticed, he didn't respond.  That is, until Glory tentatively asked, "What is this for?"

Deathbringer sighed, tears pricking the corners of his eyes.  "It's... a grave marker.  For my mother, Quickstrike."

"Oh," Glory replied, her ruff turning blue in sympathy.

"She's not actually buried here... but ever since the NightWings settled in the rainforest, I figured I could at least do something to remember her," Deathbringer closed his eyes in grief.

"I didn't know that.  I'm sorry," Glory apologized, although she wasn't sure what for.

"It's fine, not your fault," Deathbringer replied.  There was a long pause, during which Glory wrapped a wing around him and leaned into his side for comfort.  As she did, the NightWing smiled his signature smirk.

"Heh.  Guess you CAN be affectionate," he teased.  Glory immediately pulled away just to spite him, which made Deathbringer laugh slightly.

"Look at that, you cheered me up," Deathbringer smiled, turning away from the rock pile and shaking his wings as if to clear away the last of his sadness. 

"You ready to go back?" Glory asked.

Deathbringer hesitated, but finally nodded.  "Yeah.  Let's go."