Chapter 5 : The Viewer's Choice Stream

"I am home", Yui says to herself as she enters her apartment. It was 5:30 PM and she returned back after spending a day with her parents back in her childhood home. On her way back, she stopped by an electronics store to buy a stand for her microphone as the current one was getting quite loose and it might cause lot of distraction during her streaming. She gets rid of her hoodie and mask as her cat, Kuro walks comes to greet her at the front door.

"Hey Kuro, how did you spend your day?" Yui asks in her monotone voice to which cat simply says, "Nya". The woman pretending to under her cat says, "Really? I hope you didn't do naughty things with Shiro", to which the cat simply mews, "Nya", which Yui found sarcastic.

'Wait! I never thought that cats could let out a sarcastic mews. I swear that even my cat is laughing behind my back at how painfully single I am', Yui thinks and she quietly notes that even her thoughts were monotone. She lets out a deep sigh. The woman was willing to give away her entire fortune just to smile or show some emotion. There were times where she would just stand in front of mirror and use her fingers to smile, frown, just to have an idea how she looked while doing that. She was not apathetic and doctors themselves said that she has no alexithymia. In other words, she was not even trying to express. She can feel happy, she can feel sad, she can feel angry but she was unable to express it.

'I should have tried being an outgoing girl in my childhood, but no! I had to be Komi-san!' Yui reprimands herself as she removes her shoes and lays them down neatly in the doorway. She then walks inside followed by Kuro, and she goes into her kitchen. She opens a drawer and pulls out cat food and cat gravy and pours them out in Kuro's bowl. She sips water from her glass as she sees her black cat eat his food happily. She checks his litter box, surprisingly empty.

As Kuro eats his dinner, she carries the stand to her room and suddenly her stomach grumbles. She looks away embarrassed but with an unfazed expression. Usually she makes her own dinner, which she eats during her streams, but since she was outside the whole day, there was no left overs too. 'Guess I have to bring in a take-out', Yui thinks as she removes her T-shirt. She then quickly discards her clothes and hops into the shower, getting rid of today's grim and dirt from her body. She was not a person who would spend a long time in a shower and she quickly gets out within eight minutes, with a towel wrapped around her. She quickly wears the fresh pair of pajamas and a T-shirt that she kept over her washing machine and quickly walks into her room.

She switches on her lights and air conditioner and let the whole room cool down a bit. She then switches on her computer and as it boots, she starts dismantling the old microphone stand and sets up a new one. She dusts her CPU a bit as the lights on it go brighter and the fans in it start to spin, then she wipes her screen a bit. Not many people knew this but Yui was a clean freak. It was shocking to see that the woman, who barely had time in her schedule, had enough time to keep her apartment spotlessly clean. She quickly sets up the streaming software and her chats, letting the viewers know that she would be on air in ten minutes.

As she flops down her chair, Kuro leaps on her lap and sit down. Yui unconsciously fondles the cat as she opened up her game launcher. She had done a small detailed research on the game beforehand. Apparently, this game was made by one person named Izuku Midoriya who works in MD Studio. She had heard Setsuna talk about him from time to time, but she never glossed over it. It uses unity game engine. The game is a survival horror, with some puzzle aspect to it. The only way you could defeat an enemy is by using your mind and puzzles, which Yui found very interesting.

She was about to start the game. Her streams always start with the game's opening menu. Doing this gave her a lot of advantages; one that she could activate settings likes subtitles, V-sync etc. But as she was about to start, she saw something that caught her eye. Instead of 'PLAY', it was changed to 'UPDATE', and this caused Yui to panic a bit. The one thing she hated the most was last moment updates as it threw her very much off her schedule. She clicks on it and when the update bar appears, she felt relieved.