Chapter 18

Chapter 18

I couldn't express my shock about the fact that Ian was a Catholic, of all people because he was already looking at me with those eyes of his as he turned around. They widened for a second. I literally forgot to breathe when my gaze went down to his clothes. He had worn a dark blue button down with an equally dark colored denims, complimenting with his pale skin and dark brown hair. He. Looked. Hot.

A throat clearing from my side woke me up from whatever daydreams I was having about him. I looked to my side to see Charlotte smirking at me. Of course, she would have seen this. And I fell for her trap. Again. And that too, in one day. I glared at her when she mouthed, 'I told you soo'.

But when I looked back at where he was currently standing, he was, surprisingly, walking away hurriedly with a hand on the old lady's arm. I badly wanted to call him but I obviously couldn't since he was going farther away. I realized, it really was a small town.

Our row was already moving forward, so I trudged forward. I ran my fingers through my fingers as I tried to find him again amidst the growing crowd. The crowd had, effectively swallowed him in.

........................................................

We were in the parking lot, waiting for Eric's car to show up and also waiting for Mom to show up because she was talking to a relative of hers and Dad was getting agitated. Apparently we were driving down to another city for a 'family dinner'. Eric and Charlotte were driving together, with my parents orders, and my parents and I were in one car.

We finally arrived after a lot of bickering occurring between my parents. I mean, seriously, why do they even bother sitting in one car?

The lunch went well, mostly the discussion was based on the upcoming marriage and how the invitations were to be brought about. Thsi discussion droned on and on and I almost fell asleep on my seat had it not been for my mother asking about the dress that we had decided for me since I was made the maid of honour.

The thing was that I was really delighted to be the maid of honour but not really excited about it. It's like being happy but still not being happy. You know what I mean, right? It wasn't like I wasn't happy for Char's marriage but I was just unhappy about the fact that she was forced to marry. I mean, anyone would feel like that, right? And as for Eric, he wasn't a bad guy and Charlotte seemed to be happy with him.

Anyway, we talked for a long while and then we parted away.

After half an hour, I was perched on my bed, reading Gone With the Wind, wearing my reading glasses. Yes, I had glasses. But it wasn't like I was a nerd or anything. Yes, I had very good grades but still I did not have my face stick up in books every waking moment of my life.

I had just reached the part where Rhett leaves Scarlett for good in the middle of the road, when someone called me. I almost let out a squeal at the suddenness of it all and looked at my phone to see Wendy calling me.

"Hey, what's up?" I asked her.

"Hi! Just wanted to check how you were doing." She answered. I seriously loved my best friend.

"Yeah, I am fine. I mean, I have gotten over it but still I wanna find out who did this, you know?" I said.

"Yeah. So what are you gonna do about her.....or him, that is?" She said. I frowned at her mention of her but let it go. I mean, she is as confused as me, right? So who could blame anyone?

"I dunno, I wish I could leave the school." I sighed. I had thought about it a long time ago actually.

"What? What are you talking about?" She asked, a little shocked.

"No, no nothing. It was just a thought." I said, negatively. I didn't want to upset Wendy over this.

"Okay. So you wanna come to a party? At Nicky's house, tonight at nine pm? I can pick you up, if you want." She asked. Hell, yeah! A party was seriously in order.

"Yeah, sure. So I'll see you then." I hung up and put aside my book and started doing maths. I had to do something productive like studying before partying.

After an hour or so, I stretched and yawned. Maths was hell in the form of numbers! Thank God, I was done with the chapter for now or I would simply die.

I looked through my window into Ian's room. Okay, now I was completely on spy-mode, and there could be absolutely no way I was not spying on him when he just lived next door. Lucky me!

But I didn't find him. I really wanted to ask him why he left so early. I know it was none of my business but I really wanted to confirm if he had left because he had seen me or not. A girl's gotta have doubts, right?

I sighed dejectedly and looked at the watch. 7:30 pm. Maybe I should get ready for the party. I actually wanted to dress up this time especially. Well, because I wanted people to know that I still was Scarlett, not a girl who would be crying in some corner of the room just because something bad had happened to her. I wanted to be classy tonight and that's what I intend to be from this moment on.

So I found a short navy peplum dress with a sweetheart neckline. It looked really good at me. I decided to put my hair up in a high pony. Now, a nice necklace would do the trick. I found a silver necklace that'd do the trick. I paired it with my silver 5 inch heels that'd magically make me look longer. I smiled at my reflection at the mirror. Classy.