Chapter 3

Chapter 3

My mum was not there in the house by the time I returned. At around six thirty, Jay came to pick me up. He was quiet for some time but then he came over and hugged me. I was surprised for a moment but then hugged him back. He is a 'holding hands' type of a guy.

But anyway, as we started walking down the street, I noticed him scowling at the house across from our house. I tugged at his hand and asked him what was wrong and he replied with a curt nod toward the window. I looked sideways at it and realized it was the new guy, Ian, standing there, looking down at us.

I looked back at Jay and shrugged and threw a small smile at Ian which he returned. We were going to be great buddies in the future, I thought as I looked back at Jay's face looking angrily at me.

"What?" I asked him annoyingly. It wasn't like he could tell me what to do.

The rest of the night went slowly with Jay. We played and had a good time together. But even he seemed to agree to the fact that there was no 'us' now. He tried small gestures like putting his hand across my shoulders but that was enough. 

The thing with Jay was that he had gone through a lot and I was his girlfriend at that time but then he seemed to be attached to his best friend, Melisa and everything went haywire afterwards. He completely started ignoring me and then during his mother's marriage with another man he was caught red handed with Melisa and that was it. We broke up. But I still owed a lot to him. Somehow.

We bid our goodbyes to each other and hugged one last time.

"See you at school, then." He said taking one last look at me and then turning away.

There was silence surrounding our house when I came in. 

"Mum? Dad?" I called several times but there was no answer.

For a second I thought, shit, my parents had gone to the court for the divorce but then everyone started piling in from the front door with Eric in toe. All were laughing loudly and even Charlotte seemed to be in a good state of mind. 

"Hi, Scarlett. How are you? How was the date with Jay?" My mom asked me as soon as she put out her coat.

"It was nice. Where were you all?" I asked.

"Oh, we were having dinner with Eric. I hope you don't mind. Have you eaten anything? Because we brought some Chinese for you." My mom asked me showing me a paper bag.

"I am alright, thank you. Goodnight, Eric." I said with as much enthusiasm as I could muster and quickly left the room. I really wasn't in the mood for any lovey-dovey stuff that they were faking.

That was such a freak night with my mom and dad bahaving as if nothing is going to be ruined after a month's time and with Jay buzzing around me. 

I was very hungry since I had not eaten anything since morning when I just had a waffle for dinner. But I was not going to say anything to my parents. If they wanted noting to do with us, then fine be it that way.

Around midnight when I was studying with my glasses on, I could see lights opening in the house across from us. Ian's house. I peeked outside and saw him leaning out of his balcony on the railings wearing a pyjama and a t-shirt. He looked really nice. Cute rather.

I caught his eyes and he waved at me and I waved back. He asked me what I was doing through signals. I signaled at him my book. He gave me two thumbs-up. I then asked him what he was doing and he answered with a 'speaking to you' gesture. So true.