SHIP OF DREAMS

Not so long ago, on the river Liffy down by Dublin's docklands, a very old and large ship by the name of the Mary Jane was on show for all to see. You could board the ship and take a tour of it and be told of the many trips it took throughout its history and hear stories of some of the passengers that went along on some of these journeys.

The ship had its own guides to take visitors through the tour, but for some strange reason I did not need a tour guide when I took the time to board this rather unique vessel. The ship itself would tell me, rather show me some of its history, as well as that it would allow me to interact with that history as if I were an actual part of the past which belongs to this awesome place.

How could such a thing be possible? I have no idea. The familiarity I felt upon the vessel came immediately ... from my first step abord in fact.

A group of twenty people which would include myself began the tour in the enormous ballroom of this very impressive ship. Despite the fact that we already knew that this was an old vessel it was easy to tell just by walking into the ballroom that this ship has been around for quite some time. The windows were up high on either side of the room, not much light was getting in, and the pure age of the place made it look and feel cold and dull.

Obviously enough this ballroom has seen very little activity in recent times other that of the tours which passed through its doors. This was the beginning and end of my part with the official tour as the ship itself, or something else, was about to take over and lead me to where I needed to be.

All of a sudden, the room lit up bright, those from the tour along with the tour guide were no longer in the room and I somehow now was wearing a tuxedo and not the regular uninteresting casual clothing I am used to wearing, I had definitely not come on board wearing a tux and this is one thing that is for sure.

The ballroom began to swap its dull coldness for something which would appear to be very much alive indeed. Seven large round tables began to appear one by one with ten chairs around each table. People also began to appear dressed like they were from the 1920's, three chandeliers hanging from the ceiling lit up and almost yellow orange glow.

It was clear it was now night or evening time rather than it being a dreary afternoon, as those windows from way up high had now darkened with night sky rather than owning a dullness belonging to a lengthy period of time. A big band consistent to this 1920's look also appeared on a stage at one end of the room. An elderly gent with a large grey and black handlebar moustache along with bushy eyebrows to match, and wearing an eye piece came over to me.

'I say, what an astonishing place this is' he spoke.

'It is indeed', I replied as I smiled.

For some reason or other, I felt very much at home here, really comfortable with what was happening. I belonged to the moment. The big band began to play, and those in the room began to dance. A beautiful young lady approached me.

'Are you not going to ask me to dance?'

She somehow seemed so ... familiar ... to me.

'Please forgive me; I do not know what came over me. It would be an honour and pleasure if I could have this dance with one whose beauty is beyond comparison.'

These words just rolled of my tongue as if what I had just said was meant to be said. The lady smiled and curtsied as I bowed and so we began to dance. Whatever actually is going on ... this was a moment to which I did not belong but at the same time it became a moment that belonged to me, and I so did not want it to end. As to how and why I am here, for this moment or point in time it did not seem to matter.

The song ended, she curtsied again, keeping her eyes locked to mine, then she turned and quickly exited the room, picking up her blue bell-bottomed dress as if to avoid tripping over it. I was surprised by this and was about to go follow her but before I could, I was tapped on the shoulder and as I turned, I was met by a punch to the face which knocked me to the floor.