MAGGIE

*I was listening to the radio one day many moons ago when the song Maggie May by Rod Stewart came on. It got me to thinking and so I began to write, and this is what I got from it.

'Wake up Maggie, I think I have something I want to say to you ...'

The tears began to flow uncontrollably. It may seem too late to say anything now though if anything was to be said at all then this moment was or would be the time to say it.

You know, there would be mornings when the sun would catch your face and remind me of the difference, and I would ask myself 'what the hell am I doing?' Though when I would look into your eyes, I would feel that I was exactly where I belonged, like I was where I was supposed to be. Why did you do this to me? Why did it have to be me? Could it not have happened to someone else?

I knew that you lived alone, and that loneliness must have been your best friend though that was not the only reason why I accepted your invitation that first morning. It was warm and bright and late in September too, remember? I do, for I was late getting back to school. I guess I knew what I was letting myself in for. What the hell? That is what I had asked myself. Maybe I was just trying to convince myself that no harm could come from it.

How can I go home now? There is no way I can go on as if nothing had ever happened. You not only took my heart, but you stole my soul. I do know that this was never your intention. Be that as it may, it still happened. Perhaps you only wanted a friend, someone to talk to, to listen to, someone just to be ... there, but it went so much further than that.

Ya know, I could listen to you for hours, your stories; I would always laugh at your jokes. You may have been trying, I don't know but you didn't really need to, so maybe I can or should take some blame for it all. Anyone I may become intimate with from this point on, there will always be you in my thoughts. How can I ever see them for who they might be?

It was wrong but it wasn't, it was ... special ... of course it was, and it always will be ... still. Oh, why have you gone, I only just got here. Ah hell, you are in a better place now and I am glad I was there for you, and you had someone there at the end.

What am I supposed to do now? Go back to school, I guess. Even kissing your forehead does not seem right. You are so cold. I do not mean that in a bad way of course. Goodbye Maggie, sleep well for I will never forget you. My soul, my essence will never let me forget.