ABE'S DINER

They're not gonna get here in time ...

                                        ... Then what do you suggest? ...

I suggest we make a run for it ...

                                        ... There is no way we are all getting out of here alive ...

Someone will have to stay behind ...

It's a wonder as to how a place like Abe's Diner sees any business at all but business it does see and all the rest too. Castletown is and always has been a rather large and continuously growing town though Abe's sits alone on the outskirts of town more than a fair distance away from everything and anything else noteworthy within the town. Prosper it has and prosper it does for a good three decades now ... that's Abe's Diner.

Kate Evans arrives just before five on the afternoon of Thursday the second of April 1987, always early or right on time and usually open to take on the odd extra shift or two if needed or asked. Friend and co-worker, Lydia Devlin, has been on duty since opening and is delighted in more ways than one to see Kate come in for her shift and as for the present moment it is as peaceful as the place has been all day and at that there is still plenty to keep staff occupied.

'Long day?' asks Kate.

'That and the rest' responds Lydia.

Little can either know that the day has really only just begun.

Throughout its existence, Castletown has received more than its fair share of bumps and bruises and as it continues to reap the benefits of a high turnover generated in part by such things. These bumps and bruises keep on coming and lately they do so at a more furious a pace than ever before. Sure the new town center, situated quite the distance away from the diner, has been open about eight years now, so in its own way it is open longer enough not to be all so new anymore.

As ready to retire for the day as she can be, Lydia says her goodbyes to staff and to regular customers she has become quite accustomed to. On her way to the exit and for whatever reason, she decides to answer a ringing payphone that rests not all so far away from the main customer doorway.

'Hello'.

'Abe's Diner?!' inquires a softly spoken male voice that makes a statement as much as it asks a question.

'Yeah, looking for anyone in particular?'

'Yes, my dear ... you.'

'Excuse me? Who is this?'

'Who I am does not matter my dear, what does matter is what I have to tell you.'

'Seriously? ... I am going to hang up now, okay?'

'Do that and everyone in Abe's Diner, and anywhere else near-by, dies.'

'And I am supposed to believe that? Goodbye.'

'Fine by me if you want to die and kill everyone else while you are at it ... go right ahead.'

'Alright, you have ten seconds before I hang up ... speak.'

'First of all, my dear, you must remain calm. Any sort of panic that you might arouse will get everyone killed. Now, you need to tell me that you understand this before I proceed, alright?'

'Whatever you say, honey.'

'Listen ... it would be wise to take me seriously. There is a bomb in the Diner ...' the voice speaks with a little more agitation now than calm.