What You Are to Me

—KITAKAGE—

"I like Shinsuke."

He was six when he said that to a nine years old Shinsuke, when they were feeding koi together in the older boy's backyard.

Tobio has always liked the way Shinsuke treated him, gentle and loving, like he was part of his own family. It occured to him one day, that he should at least let Shinsuke know, just how much he appreciated the older boy to always take care of him and was willing to play with him everyday.

And he remembers the time he decided to express his feelings, Shinsuke laughed at him and playfully ruffled his hair.

"I like Tobio too." Shinsuke had said then.

Tobio also remembers the time his entire face beamed with happiness after, as he snuggled more into Shinsuke's touch.

"Then, I will marry you." He said in the spur of the moment. Because, isn't that what people who like each other do?

Which the outburst, however, brought out a more boisterous laughter from Shinsuke.

Shinsuke didn't reject him nor did he show any sign of disapproval. All the older boy said as he smiled tenderly at him was, "We are still too young for that."

Everything that mattered was that Shinsuke liked him too, and Tobio decided to just leave it that way because they were, indeed, still way too young for that.

"I like Shinsuke."

A ten years old Tobio said on Shinsuke's thirteenth birthday, when the two of them decided to celebrate it together by lighting up some sparklers as they crouched down /again/ in the older boy's backyard.

It was only until recently Tobio realized that he really liked spending time with Shinsuke. Even when it's just the two of them lazing around on Shinsuke's porch, gazing at the garden with only the sound of crickets and comfortable silence surrounding them, he never felt so happy and safe.

As if his burdens were taken away, dissipated into thin air. So blissful and calming.

He wanted to always stay like that, to never leave Shinsuke's side forever. Because just being with Shinsuke, felt like everything's going to be alright, like the world belonged to the two of them only.

So, on such momentous day, Tobio was determined to let Shinsuke know how precious his existence was to him.

And he remembers Shinsuke responded the same, "I like Tobio too."

"Then, will you be my lover?" He asked, just as the sparklers in his grip went out.

Shinsuke laughed, so loud that it made Yumie pop her head out from behind the sliding door to look at them with a curious smile.

Tobio felt a slight of déjà vu when he heard those hearty laughter.

When Shinsuke's laughter had died down, he lighted up another sparkles and gave it to him before asking teasingly, "My my, where did you learn that?"

"Miwa." Tobio nonchalantly responded, averting his attention back to the glowering sparklers in his hands. "She said when you become lovers with someone, you can be together forever with them for the rest of your life." His answer earned an understanding hum from Shinsuke.