Chapter 20:

"Run!" She says. And that's exactly what I do.

*****Trigger warning: Mentions of Blood in this chapter***

Holding the flashlight tightly in my hands, I run as fast as I could. I quickly squeeze between the pipes before trying to remember where the stairs were. Deciding on a direction, I keep on running before finally spotting a sign pointing to the stairs. 

The stairs were just across a large room. Even with the lights now on, the room was still shrouded in eerie darkness. I just needed to cross the room and I would be able to climb the stairs out of the basement. However, I realize that the monster could still get me.

I quickly make a run for it, when I clumsily fall behind a tall stack of boxes. I feel a sharp pain in my side, my breathing becoming uneven.  I look down, seeing my sweatshirt a dark color. Slowly, I lift the fabric, cringing as I see a shard of glass protruding from my skin. 

'Where did this glass come from?'  I thought to myself. I reach toward the flashlight, trying to turn it on when I see that it was broken. The glass was been shattered, most likely being what had stabbed me. I panic, knowing that I probably made a lot of noise when I fell. And now I was wounded.

I freeze where I am crouching, hearing a quick-paced tapping noise as something runs past. Peaking out from behind the pile of boxes, I see the monster.

 Peaking out from behind the pile of boxes, I see the monster

The monster seemed almost spiderlike, crawling on 8 long legs. However, it also had tentacles that hung from its upside-down torso. I watched as the creature was looking around the room. It toppled over different piles of boxes. I knew it would find me soon.

Slowly, as quietly as I can, I pick up the flashlight once more. I look back down the hall that I had run from. If I could distract the creature for just a moment, I could probably make it to the exit in time. 

Taking as deep a breath as I could, I quickly crawl to my feet, making as little noise as possible. I hold onto a box for support as the wound on my side made it hard for me to stand straight. I watch as the creature grows closer and closer to me until it is just a few feet from my hiding place. 

*CRASHHHH*

I throw the flashlight as far as I could down the hall. I didn't want to take any risks of it coming back too soon.

The creature takes off in the direction of the noise. I take a second to make sure the creature is far enough away before I quickly run toward the stairs. I climb them two at a time before finally making it to the door at the top. I throw open the door before slamming it shut once more behind me.