Chapter 27: The Answer is No!!!

Brett P.O.V
"Were still in for tonight right?" Marissa voice was faint to me as I looked over at Shailene. Waddling towards me.

"Uh, yeah." I looked back at Marissa and kissed her once, twice, three times.

"Okay. Just making sure." She slammed her locker shut and walked away from me.

I walked over to Shailene, nothing how big she had gotten. I looked down at her belly for a minute then up at her.

"Didn't your parents teach you its not nice to stare?" She put her hands on her belly.

"I don't really know my parents. I'm kinda in foster care." I felt ashamed for admitting it.

"Oh sorry. I didn't know..." I held up one hand to stop her.

"It's for the best." Our eyes met. "Why'd you walk, or waddle, over to me?" I asked.

"I was wondering, if, uh..." She lost eye contact with me and stared at the floor instead. "if you wanted to not be apart of the baby's life."

"Excuse me?" I felt affended by her words.

"Well, it's just, you never do what you say your going to do. So, you might as well give up now." She picked her head back up.

"The answer is no! I'm going to help raise our baby. Whether my life depended on it or not." A faint smile grew across her face.

"Okay..." She responded.

"So are you healthy? Do you know what the baby is?" I ran my hand up and down her stomach, feeling nothing.

"Healthy as ever. But I have to go back next week to find out what I'm having, wanna come?" She asked.

Before I could answer, I felt so small yet powerful bump hit my hand. I pulled my hand away from Shailene's belly.

"You felt that?" She smiled.

"What was that?" I felt frightened.

"The baby. You felt him/her kick!" She laughed. She grabbed my hand again and put it back on her belly. I felt a few more "kicks" from the baby, making me laugh.

"I want to go to your appointment." I finally said. I smiled at her belly and noticed a large portion of her belly shift from one side to the other. I moved my hands where the disformation was.

"Glad to see your enjoying this." She laughed, making the baby inside of her shake.

"Don't laugh! Your shaking him like crazy!" She laughed even harder.

"It won't hurt it." She said. "You want it to be a boy?"

"Yeah. Why, you want a girl?" I teased. She smiled and nodded.

The bell for last period rang. I removed my hands from her stomach and waved goodbye, ending our moment of bonding.

On the way to class, I played the moment I first felt my baby kick. It felt so good to know that I'm committing to help Shay and our babys life two great lives.