𝕡𝕣𝕠𝕝𝕠𝕘𝕦𝕖

It was bright and sunny outside, the scent of grass and pollen filled the air. It was warm enough to get away with not wearing a jacket, but not quite the peak of summer yet. The birds chirped their happy songs as they flew around the bright blue sky.

Keith and Victoria stood under a big willow tree facing each other. They held each other's hands out in front of them with huge smiles plastered on their faces. 

Keith was getting adopted in three days and they didn't want to leave each other. They were best friends in the orphanage they lived in. It had started when Victoria sat alone one day. Keith quickly noticed this and befriended the little girl. Ever since then, they've been inseparable.

Keith came up with an idea for them to 'get married' under the tree. Victoria didn't mind the idea and agreed to it.

"I promise to never, ever, ever, forget you," Victoria promised. 

"And I promise I will never, ever, ever, forget you either," Keith replied with a smile on his face.

Keith quickly pulled Victoria closer to him, leaned in and captured her lips in a quick kiss.

Any other twelve-year-old would be grossed out at kissing someone, but they didn't mind.

"Here," Keith dug around in his pockets for a minute, finally pulling out two matching rings. "One's for you, and one's for me." He explained as he slipped Victoria's on her finger. The rings were a plain stainless steel strip with their initials on the inside. Victoria's being V.L. and Keith's being K.M. The outside part of the ring was words, Victoria's said 'forever' and Keith's said 'and always'.

"I, uhh, didn't know your ring size, so I kinda just guessed," Keith admitted, scratching the back of his neck. "Sorry if it's too big." He apologized. 

The ring was a bit loose on Victoria, but she figured she'd grow into it. Victoria smiled at him, "It's alright." She said kissing him on the cheek. 

"I'm sure gonna miss you," Keith admitted.

Victoria nodded her head, "Don't worry, we'll see each other again soon. I promise." Victoria reassured him. 

The day Keith left the orphanage was sad for both of them. They both knew they would never see each other again. 

Keith and Victoria hugged each other one last time before he left, neither of them wanting to let go first. Finally, after what seemed like their last hug for a while, he gave her a quick peck on the lips, smiling softly but sadly, before being dragged away by his new family.

Victoria waved at him as he was brought off in the distance. But he was too far to see that she waved and didn't get to wave back.

Despite being sad that her best friend was gone, she felt happy for him. He was finally able to be in a family of his own that welcomed him with open arms. 

She hoped that someday she'd be in a family of her own. But to her dismay, that day would never come. Anyone who met Victoria thought she was too hot-headed. The only person that didn't mind was Keith. Her one and only best friend.

That all happened when Victoria was eleven and Keith was twelve...