Chapter 20- Talk it Out

Nothing to say I guess...enjoy the chapter.

___________________________________

Recap

Lucy's POV

A hand clamped down on my arm and a low voice reached my ears. "Are you Lucy Brimmings?" I look up and, to my horror, a police officer was looking down at me, concern written all over his face.

Where was Zayn?

___________________________________

Lucy's POV

"Umm..." I look into the officer's expectant face as I try to come up with a response. "Yeah," I say, thinking on my feet. "What do you need?"

He frowns. "I'm going to need you to come with me." he start pulling me towards the exit, but I plant my feet firmly in my spot. He turns around, surprised. "Do you mind telling me wher you've been the past 24 hours?"

"Oh, yeah, I was at my friend's house, staying the night."

"Your parents have been looking for you."

"But I just saw them before I left the house today." He scratches his chin in confusion.

"I've been informed of a runaway, possible kidnapping. Are you with anyone?"

"Yeah. My friends are here. One of them is in the contest. My mom knows this."

"Mind coming down to the station to clear this up? Because the whole police force has been notified of your case. Your...father..made it very clear that you weren't seen for a whole day with permission."

"I don't understand. There must be a mistake. My father past away." I say with a straight face.

This makes his eyes widen in shock. "Your father? Are you sure? Your description is right, your parents have a photo, police are searching-"

"I don't really like to talk about it." I cut him off. "My dad past away when I was seven. I don't have any sibilings, so it's just me and my mom and sometimes my uncle, when he can spare a visit from America." I was making all this up on the spot, not really thinking about the consequences. I knew I was going to have to face this later on, but I'd much rather do it with Zayn there. Speaking of which, WHERE WAS HE???

"If your father....passed, do you have a stepfather?" he asks nervously.

"No, it's just me and my mom. I told you." I say impatiently. I knew this was the end.

"You're going to have to come with me..." He pulls on my arm and I was just about to say something, anything, when Zayn appeared by my side.

"There a problem?" He asks quietly, looking at the police officer. I admire his ability to show an indifferent mask of boredom when dealing with trivial situations like this.

"Sorry, young man, I don't..." Zayn clearly made the cop nervous as he gave him a once over, from his black attire to his tattoed arms. "I don't mean..." he clears his throat. "Nothing to see here."

Zayn turns to me, keeping a cool expression. "What is it?"

"This officer is telling me someone is looking for me. But you know my dad, um, isn't... alive anymore, righ?" Hoping he got the cover story, which I think he did.

"Yeah. So what does he want?" I almost laugh at the way he talked about the police officer like he wasn't even there.

"Well, I think he wants to question me." I glance at the officer as his grip infinitely lossens on my arm.