Chapter 10

The next couple of weeks went by uneventfully at New York University. Students were quick to focus back on school after Reading Week had ended. With no other break in sight until Thanksgiving the following month, everyone was busy completing assignments and tests successfully.

Lexi was among the college students who were laser-focused on getting through the following weeks. She and Nikita had decided to work together in the library one Wednesday afternoon after they had both finished class for the day. Lexi was already sitting at a table while saving a seat for Nikita, as she wasn't going to join her for a half-hour or so. She had had to ask her professor a few questions about an upcoming mid-term. With that in mind, Lexi put in her earbuds and began typing up her notes from her last lecture.

Someone suddenly approached her table from out of nowhere. Lexi pulled out an earbud and stopped what she was doing, thinking that she'd have to tell a student trying to snag the empty seat that she was saving it for someone.

"Sorry, this seat is t—"

She finally looked up to see Cassie looming over her with a nasty scowl on her face. Lexi paused her music and pulled out her other earbud. She already knew what she was in for, so why bother playing dumb?

"Hello there, Cassie."

The woman in question showed off a nasty smirk. "Damn, you look even uglier than usual, Lexi! What the hell kind of outfit is that? You look like shit."

Lexi glanced down at her clothes— black ripped jeans, a white lightweight sweater, and black ankle boots. She shrugged before looking back at Cassie. "It's a comfy outfit. Why do you even care about what I wear?"

"Don't get smart with me, you bitch," Cassie sneered.

"Well then, don't ask such a stupid question," Lexi retorted.

Cassie's hazel eyes narrowed as her scowl returned. "How dare you talk to me like that?! You're a fucking Creative Writing major. You aren't even that smart! Your major sounds like a fucking joke if you ask me."

"You're welcome to think that, but I really don't care."

"Oh, believe me, I do!"

Lexi snickered and rolled her eyes. "Don't you have anything better to do than to harass me? Aren't you tired of yelling at me all the time? Honestly, I don't get how you still have the energy to do this so much."

"You don't deserve any kindness whatsoever," Cassie snapped. "I'll yell at you as much as I want!"

That remark made Lexi snicker again. "Whatever you say then."

"Cassie!"

Cassie whipped her head around behind her to see Mariana walking up to her. She had a massive frown on her face, much to Lexi's surprise and amusement.

"We have to go— now," Mariana insisted through gritted teeth.

"Fine," Cassie replied reluctantly. She then turned back to Lexi. "This isn't over, bitch."

"Cassie, please! Knock it off!" Mariana begged.

With that, Cassie turned around and stormed away from Lexi's table. Mariana followed her swiftly without saying another word. Lexi absorbed the entire confrontation while remaining planted in her seat.

It was only a couple of minutes later when Nikita showed up to the library. Lexi smiled at her and waved her over to her table. She walked over in a bit of a hurry.

"Hey, how's it goin'? Sorry to keep you waiting," Nikita greeted.

"No worries," Lexi said. "You did just miss Cassie, though."