Chapter 16

Early Sunday morning, Isaac and his parents made the long drive from Buffalo to New York City. They arrived just after 11 AM at Isaac's apartment. He was the first of the three roommates to return, much to his surprise. Still, he didn't mind having the place to himself for a few hours until Felipe and DeShawn returned.

"Are you sure you're gonna be okay here all by yourself?" his mother asked.

Isaac nodded. "I should be fine, Mom. They'll probably be here before the day ends anyways."

With that, Isaac and his parents said their respective goodbyes at the entrance of his apartment. His parents left a few moments later to make the long drive home to Buffalo. Isaac watched their car drive away from his apartment complex with misty eyes.

I thought this would get easier by now, he thought. Ugh, I hate crying.

He blinked the tears away before locking the front door and entering his bedroom. He proceeded to text Felipe and DeShawn in their group chat:

Isaac: Hey, I'm back in NYC. When are you guys coming back?

Felipe: Awesome! I'll be there later this evening.

DeShawn: I'll be there around the same time. My dad wants me to help him with a few things around the house.

Isaac: Sounds good, guys. See you later!

With this newfound knowledge in mind, Isaac texted his girlfriend.

Isaac: Hey, babe! Just got back in NYC. Are you already here?

Lexi: Hey, baby! I returned early this morning. Took a red-eye from San Diego late last night.

Isaac: Sounds rough. You must be tired AF

Lexi: I sure am. LOL that plus jet lag is NOT fun.

Maybe I shouldn't invite her over, Isaac thought. He didn't want to further exhaust her by having her come over when she'd only just arrived in the city this morning. Besides, he knew he should have some time to himself too.

Lexi: Wanna hang out?

Never mind, Isaac thought. He smirked and shook his head with surprise.

Isaac: Sure, if you're up to it.

Lexi: I'm 100% down!

Isaac: Wanna come over to my place then?

Lexi: Be there ASAP

Isaac: Sounds good, babe (:

Isaac set his phone down and began tidying up his apartment hastily for Lexi's arrival.

***

Lexi freshened up her wavy chestnut blonde hair with copious amounts of dry shampoo before putting on a little makeup. The red-eye flight left her feeling like a zombie, and she had the dark circles to prove it. Still, she was determined to look good for her boyfriend. She changed out of her comfy clothes into black leggings, a bright red cable knit sweater, and black ankle-length booties. She also added her favourite jacket— a black teddy bear number that always did a great job at keeping her warm.

This looks good enough, she thought before grabbing her things and exiting her apartment.

When Lexi finally approached Isaac's apartment complex, she noticed a black Ford SUV parked near the entrance. An older-looking man exited the driver's seat while a young woman remained in the passenger seat. But when she got out of the car, both she and Lexi locked eyes.