Chapter 20

Lexi spent her winter break at her San Diego childhood home surrounded by family. She still managed to find some time to herself to relax after the stress of the fall semester. But for the most part, she hung out with her parents and extended family for various Christmas get-togethers. Christmas Eve was spent with her mother's side of the family while Christmas Day was spent with her father's side of the family after spending the morning opening gifts with her parents. She then spent the day after Christmas shopping and having lunch with a few high school friends. She hadn't seen them since summer, so it was a lovely treat.

By the following morning, Lexi was exhausted from all the socializing she had done the past several days. She spent most of her morning in bed on her phone while enjoying a cup of coffee. It wasn't until almost 11 AM when she finally got herself ready for the day. She got a quick shower and did her morning skincare routine. She then changed into some sweats to wear around the house.

I should text Isaac, she suddenly thought.

She promptly sat down on her bed and sent Isaac a quick text.

Lexi: Hey, long time no talk! How are you?

She set her phone down and went downstairs to grab a bite to eat. She smiled when she realized she was home alone— both her parents had to work today. Despite having the whole house to herself, she returned to her bedroom and got settled back onto her bed.

It was only after Lexi finished eating that she received a reply from Isaac. She grabbed her phone and smiled at his reply.

Isaac: Hey, babe! I'm good, thanks. How bout you?

Lexi: I'm good! Just wanted to say hi and see how you were.

Isaac: I'm happy to hear from you. Are you busy?

Lexi: No, not at all! I'm having a chill day at home. You?

Isaac: Same. My parents had to go back to work today.

Lexi: So did mine lol. I miss you babe

Isaac: I miss you too. Wanna hop on a video call?

Lexi: I'd love to! Feel free to call whenever.

Isaac: How bout now?

Lexi: Sure!

Lexi fixed her hair a little and made sure that her sweatshirt looked clean. Isaac was calling her by the time she got herself tidied up.

"Hello!"

"Hey, Lexi! It's so nice to see your beautiful face," Isaac said.

"Aww, thank you!" Lexi replied while blushing. "And it's so nice to see your face too."

"Thanks, babe. So, how was your Christmas?"

"Oh, Christmas has been so much fun!" Lexi exclaimed. "I got to visit my mom's family on Christmas Eve. I hung out with my cousins and whatnot and had dinner at my Aunt Ellen's house. Then I visited my dad's family on Christmas Day. I got to hang out with even more of my cousins at my Aunt Krista's. Oh, and there was a second Christmas dinner too."

"Sounds hectic, but a lot of fun," Isaac remarked.

"It was so much fun. How about you? How was your Christmas?"

"It was pretty busy, to say the least. I spent Christmas Eve with my dad's side of the family at my grandparents' house. My sister didn't come 'cause she was with her boyfriend's family. My family and I hung out together on Christmas Day. We also had my grandmother on my dad's side over for Christmas dinner. It was a lot of fun."