Chapter 32

Lexi examined herself in her bedroom mirror carefully after getting ready for tonight's end-of-semester party. She'd settled on black ripped jeans, a red tank top, and black ankle booties. She also applied some makeup to her face, going so far as to add black winged eyeliner and a pop of pink lipstick. She wanted to feel a little more glam than usual for tonight's party just because.

Tonight's gonna be a lot of fun, she thought as she fixed up her hair. She settled on a regular braid before exiting her bedroom.

She raised her eyebrows when she noticed that Nikita wasn't waiting for her in the living room. That was odd, as Lexi was usually the one making her roommate wait. But Lexi didn't sweat it for a second. She settled onto the couch and began scrolling through social media on her phone.

A few minutes later, Nikita left her bedroom. She had on dark blue jeans, a black T-shirt, and black Vans sneakers.

"Oh, hey," she greeted. "You look good."

"Thank you! So do you."

Nikita smirked. "Thanks. You seem excited for tonight."

"I really am," Lexi admitted. "I'm so happy we can finally unwind and celebrate the end of the semester, as well as the end of third year. Jesus, I can't believe we're going to start our last year at NYU in September."

"It feels like yesterday when we first met in our old dorm," Nikita remarked as she sat beside her roommate on the couch.

Lexi smiled. "I remembered after your parents had left that you apologized for how you were acting when we first met."

"Yeah, I was a real bitch that day. I certainly left a good impression, that's for sure," Nikita said, sarcasm dripping in the last sentence. She finished off the thought by rolling her eyes.

"You left a memorable impression," Lexi clarified. "There's nothing wrong with that."

Nikita snorted, causing both the women to erupt with laughter. They laughed so hard that Lexi nearly fell off the couch. She had to place her hands on the coffee table to keep herself seated.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't resist," she remarked once the laughter finally died down. "We are gonna be roommates next year, right?"

"Of course!" Nikita replied. "But first things first— we have a party to go to."

"Yes, of course. We should probably get going," Lexi said.

The two women stood up and began throwing their coats on.

"I wasn't sure if I should jinx it, but... I think Cassie's gonna show up tonight to cause trouble again," Lexi stated out of the blue.

Nikita nodded. "I have a feeling you're right. If Mariana's coming, then Cassie will definitely be there too. You know how inseparable they are."

"You don't need to remind me," Lexi said with a frown. "I'm gonna try and have fun tonight anyways, don't get me wrong. But I feel like I have to keep my guard up no matter what."

"I don't blame you. I have my guard up too 'cause I don't trust Cassie one bit."

"Let's hope tonight's party is relatively drama-free for a change. just wanna have a nice night."

"So do I. Let's go now, shall we?"

"Yes, let's."

Both women exited their apartment and arrived at the end-of-semester party a few minutes later. They entered the apartment to the sounds of loud dance music and the sight of a sea of young people. College students were everywhere in the apartment— dancing in the living room, playing drinking games near the eating area, chatting about in the kitchen, or chatting near the living room. It was quite packed despite the night being relatively young.