Chapter 3

Photo by Brodie Vissers on StockSnap

ADAM'S POINT OF VIEW

After Victoria left, I began to stretch my arms and rotate my neck to loosen the tight muscles and hopefully relieve some of the pain. Upon waking up, I was so determined to lecture her about the crap I went through last night because of her. But lo and behold, I just forgot all about it after one apology. What is wrong with me? Since when am I this forgiving?

I once got a waiter fired for accidentally dropping a pen into my coffee while he tried to serve our food. The splash from the coffee stained my shirt and some drops fell on my phone. I was ruthless, he apologized so many times but I still called the manager to complain. I bombarded the manager about the series of legal complaints I could file against the establishment for the potential burns I could have acquired. The manager was so stressed and worried that he fired the waiter after the incident. My encounter with Victoria was so out of character for me.

But enough of that, I should shower and get ready to meet Victoria downstairs. After the quick shower and a fresh change of clothes, I feel a little bit better. I wore a white button down shirt and jeans. I need to go for the smart casual look if I'm going to visit the farm later. I better head downstairs.

I look around my block and feel a sense of calm. It's a two way street lined with two to three story buildings. There is a mix of old and new buildings. You can tell from the variety of establishments that the area is occupied by mostly middle class people. It's a pretty chill Sunday morning with only a few people walking around. The skies are also clear and the wind is just right. As I take in the scenery, I hear her call my name: "Adam! Are you ready to go?"

I looked to my left and there she was standing in front of our apartment building's entrance. She tied her hair back into a half ponytail which perfectly framed her round face. Her eyelashes are still, quite distracting and her eyes look even prettier in the outdoor light. She wore a black button down blouse and light blue jeans. The black outfit made her skin look fairer, maybe even a little bit ghost-like. She does not look like she goes out in the sun so much. What is it with this brown eyed girl that captivates me so much?

I approach her slowly and smile. "Yes, I am. I'm quite hungry already actually."

She smiled: "Don't worry, the coffee shop is only two blocks from here, we'll be there in less than 10 minutes." We start to walk together and just take in the calm Sunday morning breeze.

TORI'S POINT OF VIEW

As we walked together toward the coffee shop, I occasionally stole glances towards my new neighbor. I kept thinking about how he looked nice in his white shirt and pants. He was definitely dressed like a male lead! Wait, does this mean I'm the female lead? Is this how our love story begins? Woah, I'm getting way ahead of myself. Wasn't it just yesterday that I got my heart broken by my closest friend/long term crush, Sam? Have I really moved on and found someone better?

I find it quite alarming that I find Adam so physically attractive. I've never been attracted to dark hair and gray eyes, I usually prefer blue eyes and lighter hair colors like blonde or light brown. Perhaps the slap of reality last night shattered my core enough to change my taste in men? Ugh, here I go again reliving the horrible night.

I was so excited last night when Sam called me asking me to meet him at the bar. I could hear the happiness in his voice as well. He's been my closest male friend since I moved into this town so I know him pretty well. I could tell if he's happy, sad or angry just by the sound of his voice. When he called me last night saying he had something important to tell me. I felt my heart leap inside my chest. Maybe he got promoted as a firefighter or maybe he wants to confess his love for me? Oh the audacity of my little heart to assume that the man I've pined for over two years would finally admit his feelings for me.

When I got to the bar, everyone was there. Apparently this good news had to be heard by all of our dear friends as well. I was so excited and as soon as he saw me, he pulled up a chair so I could sit next to him. After a few minutes of chit chat, he stood up to make his "important announcement". There it was. The much needed dose of reality to wake me up from my stupidity.

Athena is back in town. She's a grade school teacher who lives a couple of blocks away from Sam. He's been obsessed with her since high school but apparently she was not into him. He tried to court her one year ago but she left to pursue further studies in another town. Apparently, she is back and naturally all his feelings for her are back as well. He gathered his dear friends to announce that he will be organizing a big romantic surprise for her and he needed our help. I chuckled right after he spoke. I am so pathetic! I have loved this guy for over two years.

Here's the part where I should list down all the pathetic stuff I did for him, but NO. This is where it ends. I was never able to tell him how I felt and was always hoping he'd confess first. When that didn't happen, I thought that our connection was so deep that maybe we didn't need to say it. Maybe the romantic connection was automatic, no labels needed. We loved each other, supported each other. Last night, something finally clicked into my system. I am delusional and pitiful to be constantly clinging to this man. I am done! Sam spent the night detailing his romantic plans to pursue Athena. I couldn't care less at that point. Towards the end, he turned to me and asked me: What do you think, Tori?

At that moment, I smiled at him and said: "I think I'm gonna go home now. I am such an idiot but I am done. I can't help you with your stupid shit, I'm sorry. " Upon hearing the gasps from the rest of our friends, I stood up and walked out. My friend Cassidy tried to catch up with me to ask if I was okay. She offered her couch for me to stay the night. I refused and the rest is history.

ADAM'S POINT OF VIEW

As we we're walking, I felt like a nervous school boy who did not know how to talk to his crush. I wanted to think of something we could talk about while we walked but before I could say something, I noticed Victoria's facial expression. She looked like she was in pain. It was like she was deep in thought and suddenly remembered something sad or terrible. Then I noticed that she was walking absent-mindedly towards a streetlight.

I grabbed her hand to change her direction and avoid colliding with the street light entirely. And said: "Victoria! Be careful. Are you okay?" As I pulled her aside she snapped back to reality and looked at me in surprise. She said: "I'm sorry, I got a little distracted"

I raised an eyebrow and said: "You're not still drunk, are you?" She looked appalled by my question. "No, I'm not. I was just deep in thought" She looked down and noticed that I was still holding her hand. She quickly pulls her hand back and gestures toward the coffee shop. "Don't worry about me. I just have a lot on my mind lately. Let's focus on breakfast!" She said this as she turned away from me to walk into the coffee shop.

I stepped in and took in the cozy atmosphere. The walls were in pastel colors, blue and green. The seats were mostly white fuzzy chairs. Victoria walked ahead of me and pointed to a table at the left corner of the shop. She said: "This is the best seat in the house. You get privacy from the other customers and, if you're bored, you can watch the people outside and quietly judge their every move."

I smiled at her: "Thank you! I hope you can also recommend the best breakfast and coffee as well!". She nodded and said: "Well of course, I will get you the house specialties. Not only that, it's my treat! I may not have a ton of money but I think I can spare some to treat you for your unsolicited kindness."

I just stared at her as I took my seat in the corner booth as she directed. I am a grown ass man developing a serious crush on my next door neighbor! How pathetic!