Chapter 28

ADAM'S POINT OF VIEW

Due to the unexpected events, we had to postpone our trip to River City for two more days to rest up and give ourselves time to recover. Paul kept me updated about Amanda's case against me.

My initial plan was to confront Amanda and convince her to drop the case. If that did not work, my next plan was to speak to her father directly. I plan to present proof that his daughter's statements are false. I would also remind him that his daughter did not live a clean life as well. She might not go to prison like me but I will make sure that her reputation will be ruined once I release statements about her past and present endeavors.

However, after what happened with Sam I don't want to take anymore chances. Confronting either Amanda or her father would have uncertain outcomes. I need proper legal support to counter their claims efficiently and permanently. I know what I have to do.

Victoria and I rode a bus to River City early in the morning. It was a 5-hour trip. We spent the time on the bus taking naps, eating snacks and processing our plan. It helped a lot knowing that I wasn't alone in facing my problems.

Once we arrived, we checked in at a modest hotel in the central part of the city. That very same day, we went to my family home. My father was the last person I wanted to see. It hurts my pride to approach him for my legal problems. But he was a good lawyer and I know that he could help me. I've never been a good son to him nor was he a good father to me. Everything was a transaction between us. That was what was left of our relationship when he replaced my mother shortly after her death.

At this time, I am no longer concerned about pride or ego. The most important thing right now is to clear my name and cut off all ties with Amanda and everyone connected to my dark past. I am letting go of my past to move forward to a better future. I want to spend the rest of my life peacefully in the small town of Laguna Springs with the love of my life.

Victoria and I walked hand in hand towards my father's home. I had called him the day before to inform him of my intentions to speak to him. He greeted us in a distant and cold demeanor.

I shook his hand and briefly introduced Victoria. He simply nodded.

"So? What brings you here? I'm guessing life in the little town did not go so well?" Father smirked.

"Actually, I love it there and I intend to stay there permanently. But someone here forced me to come back." I answered calmly.

"I've heard about your legal troubles. It's funny how the very person who protected you all those times before is the one trying to put you in jail now. You left Amanda for a new bitch and now you're facing the consequences. You should learn from this and be careful that this one does not turn on you as well once you're done playing with her." He said in an irritated tone, glancing at Victoria.

I took a deep breath trying to control my temper. Victoria squeezed my hand and nodded at me to remain calm despite his insults.

"I'm here because I need your help. I know that you want me out of your life for good. The only way I can do that is if my name is cleared from this ridiculous lawsuit. None of her claims are real. I have proof that I was never in town that night that she claimed I hurt her. In fact, she was the one who went to Laguna Springs and caused a commotion." I explained.

His eyes grew wide and his mouth opened a few times. He was taken aback by my calmness despite his condescending approach. He cleared his throat.

"Well this is the most composed I have seen you in years. But why come to me? There are plenty of public defenders who can assist you for free especially if what you say is true that it is a weak case." Father responded.

"I am approaching you because I want you to help me get comprehensive protection. I want the case dismissed and I want a restraining order against Amanda. I need to ensure that she never bothers me and Victoria ever again. I know you've handled plenty of similar cases and can win this easily. I don't have any money to pay you upfront but I can pay you in dividends over the next year or so. I am earning a bit of money from my shares at the farm so I can start paying you soon." I explained to him.

He chuckled. "Wow, Adam. You're so different from the son I knew. You're actually acting like a proper adult now. I will help you with the case. On the matter of paying me, I just need you to sign a document. That would suffice as payment for my services."

We spent the next day going over the documents my father wanted me to sign. Apparently, my mother left more money for me. She invested in stocks of an IT company. Since then, it has taken off and the money she invested has grown significantly. She declared me as sole inheritor of the stocks. My father had kept it from me until now. He wants me to sign over everything to him. My mother's hard earned money was going into the hands of my father. The man who broke her heart and fathered a son with another woman while she worked to provide for him while he studied law.

The mere thought of signing the document made me sick in my gut. But I have to make a tough choice. I have my mother's beloved farm. That is the legacy I will continue for her. I can live a happy life in a small town with the love of my life.

Victoria touched my hand and squeezed it. "I'll support you no matter what you choose, Adam." She said lovingly.

"Thank you, love." I smiled at her and looked down at the document in my hand.

"Dad, didn't you get my graduation money from my educational plan? The trust fund mostly went to you as well. And now this!" I chuckled. He's still clinging on to my mother's money like a leech.

"All that money does not even cover half of the cost of raising you, giving you a home to live in, not to mention the cost of all the trouble you get into - property damage, car repair, medical assistance etc. I am showing you mercy by letting you off. I'm helping with your case and promise never to go after the farm as long as you sign the stocks over to me." Father said sternly.

"Am I even your son? I'm sorry I've been a burden to you all these years. You should have just moved on with your mistress and bastard without me. You could have left me at mom's farm. Maybe I would have been happier there. Then, maybe you also wouldn't hate me so much." I said in a calm tone. As much as I want to say it breaks my heart to hear my father treat me like a stranger, I've long accepted the fact that he doesn't love me.

"You're just like your mother. You think you're better than me and you do not respect me!" He answered angrily.

I frowned at him and took a deep breath. How dare he talk about respect and pretend like he deserves it. I clenched my fists and stood up unable to contain the anger and hatred that bubbled up inside.

Victoria stood up placing her hands on my face. She tried to calm me down.

"Adam, breath. Don't let your anger get the better of you. Don't let him get the better of you." She said with her eyes locked into mine. I can feel myself regaining composure.

Father snickered. "Well, if you two don't mind. I am a busy man and I have no patience for your little drama. Adam, either you sign over the stocks or I will make sure that you never get the chance to have a fresh start. I will do everything in my power to take everything from you. Amanda's little case against you will seem like a walk in the park compared to what I can do to ensure you and your little girlfriend here suffer."