Chapter 13

TORI'S POINT OF VIEW

After checking out the store space, Adam and I went to the Sanchez Strawberry Farm. It was a couple of blocks away but the weather was perfect for a walk.

I can't help but smile at how lucky I am that Adam was able to accompany me today. I really enjoyed hearing his inputs on the technical aspect of running a business. I can definitely learn a lot from him.

I hope that I am able to sell the jars of strawberry jam later. This way, I can return the favor by helping their family business as well.

When we reached the farm, I paused at the entrance. "Should I just wait for you here? Or can I walk with you inside?"

He gestures to let me in the gate. "You can come in. I can show you around, if you want."

"Sure, I'd love to."

He leads the way into the main office which is only a few steps away from the front gate. There aren't a lot of people around as it is a Sunday.

He led the way as he told me about his childhood memories here. He gleamed with pride as he talked about his mother and uncle's hard work to grow this place into a profitable business.

"I remember spending a lot of time here hanging around mom and uncle. I think the only happy childhood memories I have are here. When my mom passed, everything changed." Adam said in a melancholic tone.

He paused for a while and looked away from me. His shoulders tensed. I put my hand on his shoulder.

"Adam? I haven't had the privilege to meet your mom but I'm sure if she saw the good man you've become she would be very proud."

It made my chest feel heavy as I developed admiration for Adam's mom for raising such a good son. Whereas I only had resentment for my own mother.

I dropped my hand from his shoulder and looked down.

I felt his hand hold mine and squeezed it gently. "Thank you." He said as he looked intently into my eyes. He did not let go of my hand as we walked into the storage room.

He picked up a paper bag and placed 8 jars of strawberry jam inside. He lifted the bag several times to check its weight. "Hmm... this might be a bit heavy. I'll just carry them for you so you won't have any trouble."

I laugh. "I'm not a weak delicate little princess, Adam. I've carried baking goods much heavier than that." I tried to reach for the paper bag but he pulled it away from my reach. I step closer to get the bag from him. My eyes focused on the paper bag determined to take it.

I got goosebumps as I felt his breath on my cheek. I was definitely invading his personal space but he just stood there unmoving, unbothered by our physical closeness. I could hear the drum beating in my chest. In an instant I turn my head facing him, our lips less than two inches apart.

I couldn't help but look at his lips and wonder. I blinked and next thing I knew his lips were touching mine. It was gentle and warm. I felt his upper lip warm and soft touch mine then his lower lip met mine as well. My eyes were wide open when it happened but as the sensation of his lips on mine melted all my defenses, I closed them and lost myself in the moment.

He moved his lips gently as I felt his arm around my waist pulling me towards him. What little space that was between us was now gone. I could feel his muscular body against mine. I could feel the warmth of his body, the mix of his perfume and sweat lingered in my nose.

Seconds passed and we were still kissing. His mouth slightly opened and devoured mine. I started feeling hot and uneasy.

ADAM'S POINT OF VIEW

When she stepped closer to grab the bag from me, I felt the chains of self control snap one by one. I took deep breaths but it only made it worse. I could smell her, she smelled like vanilla with a hint of cinnamon. I swallow hard and stare at her soft pink lips. If I could just get a taste, if she'd only let me.

She must have noticed my heavy breathing as she turned her face towards me. More chains of self control snap and I prepare to pounce.

She blinked once and I lost it. I put my lips on hers. I tried to be gentle and slow waiting to see how she'd react. Will she push me away? Will she slap me?

The fear of rejection was immediately replaced with passion. Her lips were softer and sweeter than I had imagined. I pulled her towards me wanting more. I wanted to savor the taste of her lips, taste her mouth and hold her in my arms.

The door slams closed behind me and startled both of us. The storage room door was shut close by the wind. We stop kissing and just stand there so close to each other. I locked eyes with her hoping that she would give me a signal that we could resume. Her cheeks were burning red. She's so cute and goddamn sexy.

She reaches for the paper bag in my hand and takes it. "We should get going." She said in a breathy voice. She looked a bit disoriented as she tried to find her way out of the storage room.

I sigh. I wanted more but I want to do this right so I'm willing to take it slow. She walks out of the storage room with the paper bag in hand. I catch up with her and grab her empty hand.

"Victoria, why don't we have lunch? Then maybe I can accompany you to Willowdale?"

Her face was tomato red and I could see how flustered she still was about the kiss. My heart was pounding as I was still feeling the heat of our kiss.

She paused and faced me. She looked at me with questioning eyes. I wait for her to speak. It was like she was processing so many things and debating in her mind what to say. I looked at her eyes then her lips again and I was also debating if I could get away with another kiss. I snap out of my thoughts as she begins to talk in a shaky voice filled with confusion.

"Adam, about the, um, kiss. I guess I just want to be more straightforward this time. You know that I've spent over two years pining for a guy who did not love me back. When it ended, I promised myself I would focus on me, on my goals and my plans. But -"

I touch her cheek trying to comfort her. I could see her anxiety rising and it was because of me. I ambushed her with the kiss and I owe her a proper explanation.

"Victoria, I understand. I'm sorry for... I mean, it's just I really like you. I have liked you since the moment I saw you in my bed. I've wanted to ask you out for days but knowing how you were still hurting over Sam, I knew it was inappropriate. I was planning to wait but...I want to say that I'm sorry for kissing you but I'm not sorry. I love kissing you and I would do it again and again and again, if you'd let me."

I look into her eyes as I say it searching for answers. She seemed taken aback by my honesty. She opened her mouth to say something then closed it again. She was lost for words for a while.

Then, she took a deep breath and my heart almost went out of my chest as I heard her say. "I really like you too. But, I... I want to take it slow for now. My heart took quite a beating recently. The bandages on my heart haven't even been removed yet. I need to steer clear of further injuries."

I laughed and took her hands into mine. "That was unexpectedly cheesy but... I get it. I don't mind taking it slow while your heart is... still in bandages."

She smiles back. "Thank you!"

I took the paper bag from her, again.

"Alright, new rule, you are no longer allowed to say thank you to me. That is literally all I ever hear from you. From now on, if you want to thank me just compliment me, like YOU ARE HANDSOME OR YOU ARE A GREAT AND HELPFUL PIECE OF ASS"

She giggled and rolled her eyes. "Ugh, fine."

We walk around town holding hands and then a quick lunch. Afterwards, I accompanied her to Willowdale. I was planning on walking around the town as I waited for her to finish but her partner skipped class. She had no baking assistant for the day. I volunteer as a substitute baking assistant. It was utter chaos as I had no background in baking but she kept her cool. She only smacked my hand once and yelled at me a couple of times. Other than that, I thought it was a cute date.