Chapter 4

Photo by Larissa De Corves from StockSnap

TORI'S POINT OF VIEW

I leave Adam sitting on the corner and head towards the counter. Cassidy is busy checking inventory. 

"Tori! I thought it was your day off today. Girl, you need to rest." She greeted me with a smile.

"Good morning to you too, Cass. I switched shifts with Mabel so I can take next Sunday off for my classes at the community center." 

"I see. I just thought you might need some time off after last night's incident." Cassidy continued to check her inventory list and as she answered.

I could feel the awkwardness in her tone as she brought up last night. "Well, I'd rather work than mope around all day. I am so done with Sam. I think I've finally realized that it's never going to happen and I just need to move on." I looked at Cassidy waiting for some reassurance but she simply sighed and focused on the list in her hands and the bread on the display counter.

Seeing as if she has no intention of responding, I changed the topic. "Anyway, I would like to order some breakfast before my shift starts. I'm here with my new neighbor, Adam." She looked at me and followed my hand gesturing towards Adam sitting and looking out into the street.

Cassidy couldn't hide her surprise. "Oh shit, your new neighbor is cute! And his name is Adam? I'd have to say you move pretty quickly girl." I rolled my eyes. "I did not make any move, he's new in town and I just wanted to help him find his way around." She looked at me disbelievingly. "Well maybe you should consider making a move. Get that man for yourself and watch Sam's jaw drop when he sees you walking around with such a hunk!"

I felt frustrated and determined to change the topic. "I don't think trying to get a rebound to impress Sam is going to help me move on. Technically, that is still energy invested in him and I don't want to do that anymore. I'm just going to focus on myself and forget about him."

Cassidy smiled. "Well then that's even better! Make a move on Adam for yourself. Any effect this has on Sam will just be a side benefit but do it for your own happiness. It's about time you dated."

This is exhausting, I am changing the topic. "Cass, can I please have two ham and cheese croissants, 1 order of pancakes, 1 hot chocolate and 1 caramel latte?" Cassidy nods and inputs my order in the cash register. I walk around the counter and begin to prepare the food order myself. After a couple of minutes I walk out with a tray in hand. I walk carefully towards Adam.

He looks up from his phone and stands up to help me with the tray. I smiled. "it's okay, I got it." He extended his hands, determined to get the tray. "It looks heavy" Before I could respond, his hand touched my fingertips as he lifted the tray from my hand to his. He walks towards the table and places it down. He takes a few seconds to look at the food on the tray then looks up at me.  "This is clearly for two people. Will you keep me company for breakfast?" He said cheerfully.

ADAM'S POINT OF VIEW

She looks at me and smiles. "Well yes, I am paying so I figured I should eat too." She sat right across the table from me and began to transfer the plates of food on the table. I try to help and watch her at the same time. This time I find myself looking at her small hands that look so fragile I wonder how she gets any work done with such dainty hands. Next thing I know, my eyes move up her arm and towards her face. She was concentrating on carefully moving the plates and arranging them on the table. She bit her lip in concentration. I got a little stuck on staring at her lips but hearing her voice snapped me out of it.

"So, these are the house specialties. The croissants here are bestsellers and the pancakes are a personal favorite. As for the drinks, I wasn't sure if you like coffee or hot chocolate so I got both." "Well, hot chocolate is my favorite but I've always felt kind of awkward ordering it. I think the adult choice is coffee so I usually go with that." I answered.