Chapter 29

TORI'S POINT OF VIEW

I held Adam as he laid his head on my chest. We're sitting in our hotel room and he's shaking from anger and frustration brought on by his conversation with his father.

I was barely able to pull Adam away and convince him that we should resume talks with his father once he is calmer. He was so close to beating the crap out of his father for threatening us in order to get his mother's money. I could see the pain in his eyes as we left. He kept quiet in the cab ride back to the hotel but he clenched his fists in anger.

He's been through so much with his family. I did not have a happy family as well but at least I was able to untangle myself from them and start fresh. He, on the other hand, keeps being pulled back by his messy past.

A part of me is afraid that our future would be difficult because of this. I came from a difficult and complicated family so I wanted to steer clear of that. I've always wanted to end up with a clean cut, respectable man whom I could marry and start a typical suburban life with. We'd have a yellow suburban home with a white picket fence, and have a normal married life with two perfect little kids. However, life does not always go as planned.

I have fallen in love with a man who has an even more complicated past than I have. A man who is far from clean cut and perfect but I love him with all my heart and I know he loves me as much.

I gently caressed his head and whispered. "I'm so sorry Adam. I wish I could take away all the pain that your father has caused you. I'll always be here for you and I'll support you no matter what."

He gently lifted his head to meet my gaze. He looked at me tenderly and touched my face.

"I love you, Victoria. Nothing is more important to me than your safety and your happiness. I'll make everything right to make sure that the incident that happened with Sam never happens again. I promise I'll do whatever I can to keep you safe and happy. I'm so sorry you had to go through so much difficulties ever since you met me"

I frowned. "No! It's OUR safety and OUR happiness. I won't ever be truly happy or safe if you aren't with me. I love you, too! I want to be with you. You don't need to apologize or make up for anything. We're in this together."

I was frustrated that he was in so much pain but he was still talking about my wellbeing. I moved my face closer to his and kissed him. It was a kiss of frustration, annoyance and hunger. Taken aback that I took initiative, it took him a while to respond to my lips devouring him. Then he began to kiss me back with a passion that left me breathless.

So much has happened lately, we're both tense and exhausted from the unending string of challenges faced by our relationship. The heat of the passionate kiss slowly melted the anxiety from our souls. As we took off each other's clothes, the exhaustion and stress were also stripped from our bodies. The only thing that consumed us at this moment was love.

It wasn't a very large hotel room and I'm not sure if the walls are soundproof. I am too preoccupied to care as well. I moaned and screamed to my heart's content. We had a night of passion, our bodies molded into each other as we climbed into utter bliss.

We slept soundly afterwards, wrapped in each other's arms. The next morning, I found myself reaching towards Adam's side of the bed. It was empty. I slowly opened my eyes and looked around the room to find him. He wasn't there. I got up and put on his shirt that I found on the floor beside the bed. I stretched a little bit then walked to the bathroom and washed my face.

As I walked out of the bathroom just as Adam entered the hotel room. He carried a brown paper bag and two cups of coffee.

"Good morning, beautiful!" He smiled as his eyes moved up and down my body. I only had his shirt on and it only covered up to my thigh. The cloth of the shirt wasn't very thick either so I was pretty much exposed. I crossed my arms over my chest in an attempt to cover myself.

"Hey, eyes up here, buddy!" I scolded him.

He chuckled. "Sorry, I was just admiring the view." He walked towards the table and set down the food he bought.

"C'mon, I got us breakfast." He motioned for me to sit across from him as he unwrapped the sandwiches he bought.

"I'm glad you seem to be feeling better." I smiled at him as I sat down and took a sip of coffee.

"Actually I feel more than better. Last night's activities really helped." He winked.

I rolled my eyes at him and focused on the food. After a few minutes of eating quietly, he cleared his throat and talked in a serious tone.

"I've decided to sign over the stocks to my father. I don't want to take any more risks when it comes to our safety. I know he'll keep coming after us if I keep the money. I'll just focus on the farm and permanently cut ties with my father and the rest of the people here relating to my dark past." He looked at me as he said it, waiting for a response.

I smiled at him. "I'll support you in your decision. I just want you to be able to move on from all that pain."

He reached out and touched my hand. "I never thought I'd be able to move on, but everyday that we are together you make it easier. I want to start a new life with you and do everything I can to grow the farm into a thriving business. The farm is the most important treasure my mother left and as long as I have that, I'll always be connected to her."

"I agree that the farm is your mother's dearest possession but I think her most precious treasure is you. I'm sure she'd want you to be happy as much as I want you to be happy."

After breakfast, we made our way back to Adam's childhood home. He spoke to his father and signed the documents. His father looked very pleased and immediately went to take care of his end of the deal. It took a few days, but he was able to accomplish everything as promised. Charges against Adam were dropped and a restraining order against Amanda was put in place.

On our last day in River City, Adam met his father once more for the final updates on the case. As we prepared to leave, Adam's father called to him.

"Adam, before you leave, I just want to wish you good luck for the future. I am happy that you've finally grown into a man who knows when to give in and accept defeat. This was not a war you could win and I am glad you chose to yield for a chance at a peaceful life."

Adam turned around, with an unexpectedly calm expression. He smiled at his father. "Actually dad, I won this battle. I know it may not seem that way because to you winning is getting all the money but to me it is being able to have a fresh start. Being able to live in peace with the woman I love and finally accepting that there will be some things in life I cannot change. I forgive you for everything, Dad. I hope you have real happiness and peace in your life now that you have everything you've ever wanted."

Adam's father was unable to answer as Adam's calmness and wisdom took him by surprise. We left the house hand in hand with smiles on our faces and peace in our hearts.