12- Father's Day (pt. 2)

The Doctor gets his companions and the bride's party inside and slams the doors on the creatures. They can be seen and heard flying around outside. "They can't get in. Old windows and doors. Okay. The older something is, the stronger it is. What else?" The Doctor notes, trying to think of what to do from here before instructing, "Go and check the other doors. Move!"

"What's happening? What are they?" Jackie questions, following the Doctor as he begins to check doors and windows, "What are they?"

"There's been an accident in time. A wound in time. They're like bacteria, taking advantage." The Doctor explains as he moves to check another door as Avery checks the window beside it.

"What do you mean, time? What're you jabbering on about, time?"

The Doctor turns to her with a look of annoyance, "Oh, I might've known you'd argue. Jackie, I'm sick of you complaining—"

"How do you know my name?!" She yells over him.

"I haven't got time for this—"

"I've never met you in my life!"

"No, and you never will unless I sort this out." He told her before raising his voice, "Now, if you don't mind, I've waited a long time to say this. Jackie Tyler, do as I say. Go and check the doors."

"Yes, sir." Jackie relents and goes to do as the Doctor says.

The Doctor grinned and turned to Avery, "I should have done that ages ago." She merely rolls her eyes in response.

Stuart takes this chance to approach the Doctor, telling him, "My dad was out there."

"You can mourn him later. Right now we've got to concentrate on keeping ourselves alive." The Doctor told him.

"My dad had—"

The Doctor grasped Stuart's shoulders, "There's nothing I can do for him."

"No, but he had this phone thing." Stuart handed the phone to the Doctor, "I can't get it to work. I keep getting this voice."

The Doctor pressed a few buttons before holding it between him and Avery and they listened to the repeated message, "Watson, come here. I need you. Watson, come here. I need you."

Avery looked up at the Doctor wide-eyed as he grinned, she asked, "Is that...?"

The Doctor nodded, "That's the very first phone call. Alexander Graham Bell." He hangs up the call and tells Stuart, "I don't think the telephone's going to be much use."

"But someone must have called the police." Stuart protested.

"Police can't help you now. No one can. Nothing in this universe can harm those things." The Doctor explained, walking towards Rose as he spoke, "Time's been damaged and they've come to sterilize the wound...by consuming everything inside."

"Is this because...?" Rose trailed off before finally asking, "Is this my fault?" The Doctor didn't answer, only walking away before Avery moved forward and hugged her sister tightly for a moment then following the Doctor.

***

Avery rushes to one last door to check with the Doctor at her side only to find Pete already at the door. She freezes as she spots him, mouth going dry and stomach turning while the Doctor goes to the window. Avery slowly moves towards the window to look as her dad explains his observations to them, "There's smoke coming up from the city but no sirens. I don't think it's just us. I think these things are all over the place. Maybe the whole world." The Doctor's face stays serious while Avery's eyes widen when the beige car appears at the corner, turns, the driver covers his face and it disappears again. Pete turns to look out the window as well, wondering, "Was that a car?"