Chapter Thirty-Nine

Friday 19th June 2009

"How do I look?" I asked Damon as I walked into the kitchen, where he was stood chopping up some peppers.

"Beautiful" He grinned, placing his knife down before roaming his eyes over me "As always"

"Damon I'm being serious" I scoffed, pulling the hem of my top to try and see if that made me feel any better.

"So am I darling" He responded, walking over so he was stood behind me before wrapping his arms around my waist "You look beautiful"

"Do you think I should be going?" I sighed, pulling away from his arms before turning round so I was facing him.

"Yes Lyla, you'll have a good evening" He laughed lightly, shaking his head before placing a kiss on my lips "Now stop worrying"

After a quick goodbye with the children I found myself sat in the back of the cab, feeling increasingly nauseous as I got closer to my destination. Over the past few weeks I'd been trying to talk to a few other mums on the playground and to my surprise, they'd all been really lovely, enough to invite me to join them for their Friday night drinks. My initial reaction was to say no, but I spoke to Damon before I said anything and he'd talked me into it.

I wasn't sure what to expect as I walked into the bar, I had to remind myself that these were all banker and business men wives. Rebecca was married to a banker and Louise was married to a businessman. I was almost certain that their Friday night drinks wouldn't be the same as Friday night drinks were for me back in the day.

"Eliza, we're so glad you could make it!" Louise gushed, both her and Rebecca flashing friendly grins at me as they gestured for me to sit down in between them.

"We've started with a bottle of chablis, is that okay?" Rebecca asked, though she was pouring me a glass before I could even respond.

"That's perfect, thank you" I grinned, the three of us clinking our glasses before we all took a sip. Or rather, a gulp in my case, the nerves were still brewing in my stomach.

"Who's watching your kids tonight Eliza?" Rebecca asked, taking a sip from her glass before resting her eyes on me.

"Oh, my husband's at home with them" I told her, my smile turning uncertain as I looked between both of their shocked faces.

"Really?" Louise questioned, the frown on her face growing as she thought about what I'd said.

"God, I wish my husband would watch the kids" Rebecca sighed, shaking her head before grinning as she took a sip from her glass "But then it's his money we're wasting on the Nanny"

"Have you not got a nanny then?" Louise questioned, I shook my head, finishing off the rest of the wine in my glass before answering her.

"We haven't no, we've never really needed one but we've been thinking about getting one recently. It's a bit harder to look after the kids now that we're both, sort of, working again" I told them, they both hummed as they nodded their heads in understanding.

"You should definitely get one, I'd be lost without mine" Rebecca smiled and Louise nodded her head in agreement "Another bottle?"

We all made our way through the second, and then the third, bottles far too easily and as the alcohol streamed through my body I realised just how lovely they both were and just how much I needed a night like this.

"I think we should finish this bottle and then go somewhere else" I commented, raising my eyebrows suggestively at them both as they both excitedly nodded their heads in agreement.