Chapter forty-one

Layla

Zack isn't as composed as Maylock but he is quicker in his movements. He punches and steps back, testing Abbey with every attack he tries. He's smirking with every swipe, goading Abbey to fight back with each approach but she doesn't react. On the fourth time Zack does this, Abbey retaliates by throwing a punch herself which hits Zacks shoulder.

     "She probably would want to fight you" Maylock glances at me as the echo of a body on the ground bounces off the walls and I find myself hoping a little for it to be Abbey. "Strike one Zack!" Maylock calls to my displeasure and they start again.

I stretch my legs and place my hands out wide to support me like Maylock has done for himself but when I put my right hand down, I make contact with something warm. I realise it's his hand. My touch on his sends a feeling of static up my arm and I take it quickly away to place it down somewhere else.

      "Come on Abbey" Zack provokes and she slaps him across his cheek making him stumble backwards behind the chalked circle.

     "Jeez" I rub my own cheek subconsciously as I feel for him.

     "Strike two Zack."

     "I don't want to fight Abbey." I look at Maylock "The only time I put my skills into literal physical practice is when we fought those Mavlins" I say knowing full well that I have done it on other occasions with the fights I got in when I was at school and with the Boltons but Maylock doesn't need to know that. Does he? No. I dismiss the thought before it even becomes solid.

     "You did well. We cleared them up in no time" he smiles and doesn't break his gaze away from me even when the sound of another body hitting the floor echoes around.

     "But then I got affected by Trixala"

     "Yeah, but she isn't here" he smirks, indicating around the room with his hand. "You will be fine. If you could fight a Mavlin, you can fight an Abbey"

     "But she isn't a robot"

     "She might act like it, but she is human" That's the thing, I think in my head but then I realise I muttered it aloud.

 It's been years since I have fought someone and from what my opponents came back like when I was finished with them, well when others had to stop me, they didn't look good.

The room has fallen quiet until footsteps rise as Zack and Abbey walk towards us, well, Zack is limping towards us.

     "Who won?" Maylock asks but I know just from looking at her smug face.

     "You" she points to me.

     "I do have a name you know" I remark, not letting her get to me this time.

     "Well, you're going to be called peasant when you lose all three" I don't move.

I don't want to fight her.

     "I'm not playing this" I shake my head to get the possibility out straight away.

     "Why not? Are you scared that you will lose?"

     "No, I am scared of what I could do" I snap because that is the truth.

Once I get going, it's hard for me to stop. Abbey being like this isn't helping the matter of my anger, which fuels me and is the catalyst for it all. I can't fight her so I stand up, turn my back on everyone and start to head out. The thought of my bandages also come to mind. They would restrict my movements in the fight, no, stop considering it Layla. I still have two wounds I should be resting for.