Chapter sixty-seven

Layla

We reach a bench opposite Leo's in the distance. The front is covered in white tarp and the scaffolding around one side of the building rattles and creaks in the bitter wind. It's only then that I realise I am hearing this reaction from way back here.

The city is silent and deserted with no civilian in sight. It's peaceful. The setting sun gives out a warm tinge that resembles the blaze of a fire. We are encompassed by this orange glow. It is quite the sight, but a limited one at that as with every minute that passes, the dark of night reaps at the colour.

Nighttime life is very different to the day. Some people say that what happens at night is the true representation of a city. I know that's the case for Tessaka, the city west of Lakeintown. Police walk the streets daily but their numbers more than double during the night. This may imply that Tessaka is a safe city and one that has no crime or night time trouble, but for that many police to walk the streets at night is a sign that something is very wrong. Tessaka is a dirty place and its people are overlooked because it's run by a corrupt government that only think about themselves.

Standor, the city north of Lakeintown is the complete opposite. With clean, tidy streets and a government that is strict but caring of its civilians, crime is a rare occurrence.

Lakeintown is in the middle of the two cities - not too dangerous but not one hundred percent safe either. Although, having the Guardian angels as the heroes of this city has lowered the crime rate and increased the safe aspect but it's still not full proof. The lurking myths of the monster add to that. We have heroes and wolves in Lakeintown but nobody else can know the truth. It would cause too much chaos and further curiosity.

After finally settling up with Oliver and completing any favours he asked of me, it would sometimes be dark so I would stay in Lakeintown. I never wanted to go through the woods to get back to my shack and I never stayed in the shop again after that night, so I walked the streets to find a place to rest with a sharpened pencil gripped tightly in hand. Always ready. Always alert.

When I found somewhere and settled as much as I could, I gazed up at the stars and relished in the quiet. There were no growls or sightings of glowing orbs. There was no mystery or anxiety, it was just me. I knew it was one night and that a new day was just around the corner.

"Do you want me to begin?" Maylock's voice spooks me slightly and I find him stood in front of me. "You had your eyes closed for a second there. You were just still and silent, I didn't want to scare you"

"I was thinking but also listening to the scaffolding at Leo's" I explain but then frown at how weird that sounds.

"That's new" he laughs and sits down on the opposite end of the bench.

His eyes glisten in this light and I'm lost in them for a second.

"I can tell you now if you want?" He shifts towards me and I take my gaze away from him and lock onto both of his hands that grip the bench sides – needing to know where they are.

My heart rate picks up as I subconsciously move to the complete opposite edge of the bench in reaction to his sudden movement.

Not wanting to lose my balance and fall from the small amount of bench I am clung on to, I stand up and away from Maylock.

"Hey, I don't smell do I?" he comes from behind me and grabs my hand to swivel me around but I pull out of his grasp and what happens next is complete muscle memory as I elbow him in the ribs.

"Oh crap!" I cover my mouth in shock as Maylock recoils from my impact. "I didn't mean to do that"

"No, my bad" his voice strains as he holds his side and sits back down on the bench, tilting his head back to recover.