Chapter thirty-three

Layla

The monster towers above me. Long muscular arms and legs are knelt on all fours with broad shoulders that block off the moonlight. The shear height and width of the beast causes me to be swamped within its shadow. The moonlight reflects off its leathery skin and highlights each wiry dark hair strand. I get a feeling of déjà vu as the monster looks exactly like it did in the Trixala trick if not worse in the way of looking inhuman and ferocious with longer teeth and claws.

     "Look who we have here" the monster begins to pace on all fours around me.

I grow nervous since the monster can talk just like they did in the trick from Trixala.

     "I was wondering how to get rid of that Guardian but he took your place and he doesn't seem to be coming back" snarls encompass each word.

Maylock saved me.

     "But now I can do what I want to do"

     "You're not going to do anything" I deny, trying to stay strong.

     "Is that so?" the monster looks straight in my eyes and I hold their gaze. "Oh, look at you. Building up the confidence to stare me down" a laugh cackles in amongst the snarls. "So let's see how long you can hold it because what's your record? Five or six seconds? You run away after that, so let's set the timer"

The monster starts to count, each number is uttered slowly with menace while I try ever so hard not to look away.

     "Your heartbeat is rising. Scared, are we? You should be as I could break you so easily. Make you immobile, break every bone in your body and rip you apart"

     "Then why haven't you?" I challenge, all my confidence built up from before is placed within those four words and now I have none left.

Wait. This is all quite similar to what I did in that Trixala simulation. I just hope that this is truly a coincidence because I do not want the other things to happen.

     "I was mistaken about the confidence thing. You have grown up"

     "What?" I mutter under my breath at the very odd comment.

     "Oh, I know all about you. More than you probably even know yourself." Growls continue to rumble from the monster. "For years I have watched you, loved the chase when you ran from me, the fear, the anxiety. I felt it all"

     "Shut up" I snap and the monster expels another low toned cackled laugh.

     "I even know the things you have hidden away. All about your past, your present and what will become of your future"

     "My future?" I repeat when the monster suddenly pounces on top of me taking me by surprise as I am pushed to the floor.

Both my wrists are pinned by one of the monster's hands and they loom close to me, making me able to feel their heavy disgusting yet warm breath all over me.

     "Your heartbeat is pounding" their voice is only a whisper but the sardonic undertone sends shivers down my spine. "My oh my, you really look just like your mother." The monsters pointed; sharp teeth are so close to my skin. "But she is dead" the moment those words cross me, I manage to wriggle my wrists out of their grasp and lash out with my right hand.

The monster flies backwards when I impact their jaw and lands quite far from me with a loud thud. I'm shocked as I gage the distance between us. How the hell did I do that? I'm not that strong but the monster gets up, shakes their head and seems to recover instantly.