Chapter fifty-five

Layla

Adicus. A name that sounds like no other. As soon as it was uttered, the environment around us cooled and a chilling tingle crept up my spine. Knowing that I am in danger from him made this sensation linger.  A man who goes out of their way to organise the attacks on Lakeintown is to be avoided. Adicus isn't sound of mind if he plans on hurting the people of this city.

     "Adicus never comes to Lakeintown!" Jordan is the first to break the cold silence. "Has he been seen?" His words are laced with anxiety.

     "No, but there are now Mavlins at the park" Maylock answers. 

     "The park is out of the exclusion zone. Civilians haven't been evacuated from there" Abbey announces worried. All sarcasm is wiped from her voice and it takes me a few seconds to register she is being serious and caring for someone other than herself. I don't know why she can't be like this all the time. 

     "Okay, Jordan, Abbey, evacuate the park and eliminate all Mavlins you see. Keep in contact." Maylock delegates.

     "Hold up Maylock" Zack cuts in, pressing a button on his angel which makes his helmet pixelate around him "Yeah, we met her. Yes, I know, Maylock just told us. Okay. Really?" he looks at me. "I'll let them know Baymin"

Zack presses the same button on his angel and his helmet fades.

     "Baymin can't access any CCTV so we are going in blind."

     "We don't have visuals and Adicus is in the city?" Jordan repeats with nerves wrapped around each word.

     "We need to forget the exclusion zone now and focus on every building. Mavlins could spawn from portals anywhere. Abbey and Zack you take the park first. Once that's safe, scout the Spire and Fashion Alley. Keep alert as Mechon could still be lurking and call instantly if you see any sign of Adicus." Maylock commands.

     "Sounds good but Baymin asked for Layla to come back to Miscellania" Zack states.

     "I want to help though" I fume.

"Baymin was pretty adamant that you return Layla"

Of course he was. He doesn't want me to be at risk of changing. I understand his gripe but I've only been out in the city for a short while. I've been fine so far.

     "So I go and just leave you to deal with the unpredictable Mavlins and Mechon?"

     "And Adicus Layla. The one you are in danger of" Zack warns.

     "I'll walk you to the offices and you can take off there" Maylock suggests. "Zack and Abbey go now and sort the park. Contact me if anything comes up. I hope you will put your helmet on Zack" he scolds.

     "I can't promise that" he smirks. "Civilians like to see a friendly face" he winks.

     "Don't be stupid and not protect yourself." Maylock stands his ground. "Put it on" he commands and Zack presses the button on his angel and his helmet materialises over his head. "Good, now remember, Mechon is a leech. Keep an eye on your angel, look out for his tar and stick together you two"

     "Gotcha" Zack acknowledges. He and Abbey thunder toward the red-bricked wall that surrounds the park.

     "If Fighters are genetic mutations of animals. What is Mechon made from? No animal can hack into gadgets" I ask, intrigued.

     "Mechon, as well as Trixala, are not a mutaling. They weren't made from an animal. They are second in command to Adicus, his prized soldiers that stand by his side and do his bidding whatever the cost."

     "So they mean business Layla" Jordan states and looks at Maylock. "I'll cover the library again and then Leo's, but I want to stay with you when Layla leaves"

     "Jordan, you're the only one that can scout the city in five minutes"

     "One minute twelve" I recall and Jordan smiles but it soon simmers.

     "I'm just worried about Adicus. This is my first major fight" he continues to worry.

     "I understand your fear Jordan but you won't be fighting alone. We are a team. Keep to the outskirts of the city when you run. You could even talk to me as you do it to calm yourself. I don't mind"

     "Thanks Maylock" he pushes his angel and his tanned face and blonde hair gets covered by a helmet and a dark visor that folds into place around his head and he runs off, turning into a literal blur of green that zips past us.

     "We need you out of the city asap" Maylock beckons and starts to walk but I don't move.

Seeing my lack of movement he stops and huffs.

     "This is a right habit of yours isn't it?"

     "I don't know what you mean" I sarcastically reply.

     "Is it the flying you don't want to do?" he asks and I'm a mixture of things.

Going back to Miscellania would be the best thing for me to do right now. I need to get out of the environment Adicus has been found in but I just don't move. I don't want to go. Maylock, Jordan, Zack and Abbey are more than capable of getting the civilians to safety and battling mavlins without me but I want to be a part of it. I should leave, but I don't want too. It sounds silly and with me now a werewolf makes it even more so but I just don't want to go. I do need to tell them though and maybe telling Maylock would ease the burden of telling them all at the same time. Yeah, I'll do that.

     "No, it's not the flying but there is an underlying reason why Baymin has asked me to come back to Miscellania"

     "and what's that?" he enquires.

     "Well, something has changed with me. Quite literally"

     "Okay?" he quizzes confused.

I can't just go and shout I got bitten by the Monster of Folklore. I need to soothe the revelation.

     "Something did happen when I was with the monster. You know, back when you fell from the cliff"

     "Yeah that was a rocky night" he smirks and continues to talk when his words become an echo and screams resonate in replacement. I flinch from the screeching pitch of it and close my eyes to absorb these wails of fear and anxiety.

     "You got that Layla? Layla?" Maylock's voice rises above the sounds of unrelenting fear and it's silent.

     "What did you say?"

     "Jordan was on his way to Leo's and saw Mavlins there but he got ambushed." 

     "Let's go then" I head off but for once it's Maylock that doesn't move.

     "But Baymin-"

     "Do you always listen to him?" I cut him off. "We can clear the Mavlins from Leo's and then I'll head off"

     "I can take care of them myself Layla" he crosses his arms, covering some of the tally etchings on his armoured sleeves. "You need to get to Miscellania"

     "Only after Leo's" I stay adamant.

     "Cor it wouldn't surprise me if stubbornness was one of your characteristics"

"Well, you are determined to continually annoy me" I snigger at my own joke by using one of his characteristics I can remember. Maylock laughs too.

     "Alright, very good. Okay fine, we will take down those Mavlins but as soon as they are gone, you leave. We have been standing around arguing long enough. We need to take them out"

     "Deal" I nod and we both head off to Leo's