04

"maria! where's my freaking book?" miguel whined while rummaging around his room.
"why do you need it?" i asked while leaning against the door frame.
"um... to read? what do you think buttface?!" he glared, i laughed.
"are you going to give it to carlos?" he blushed and rolled his eyes at me, i put my tongue out at him.
"what if i was? what were you going to do?" he stood in front of me to obviously to tower me with his height difference.
"i would tell carlos about your little crush." i smirked, miguel's face went pale.
"you wouldn't." he took a few steps back.
"oh i would." i crossed my arms while raising one of my eyebrows.

he rolled his eyes and walked off, obviously he had been defeated. i smiled to myself and took the book from under his mattress before placing it under his pillow.
"maria stop annoying your brother!" my mom came from the hall with miguel behind her.
"i'm not doing anything," she raised an eyebrow "i told him it was under the pillow." i said showing off the book, my mom sighed and massaged her temples before leaving us.
"vagabunda." miguel barked, i gave him a grin.
"cachorro." i barked back.

"hey parem!" dad shouted from the kitchen.
"i'll get my revenge." he whispered before going back to the kitchen. i walked behind him and sat down on the couch in the living room in front of the kitchen.
"the ceremony is tomorrow and i didn't even buy antonio's gift yet!" mom huffed frantically.
"don't worry juliana you could always make him a nice fluffy pastry!" my dad patted her back with comfort.
"no no just a pastry won't do! this is our first gift ceremony!" my mother shook her head in embarrassment, she was right tho, it was our first gift ceremony we've ever been from the madrigals.

i sighed and laid on the couch.
all i could think about was the last time i spoke with camilo,it's been three days since our first and last conversation. i never expected it to bother me, it happened with laura but it disappeared in a day, but we never had a long conversation like camilo and i did so maybe it was that. i did see him walking around the village from time to time, he would sometimes wave at me or maybe wink but i never gave him a response, even with his hellos i would nod my head and continue my day, i'm not sure why i was so scared to answer even laura thought the same thing, i suppose it's the nerves.

"well we could just skip." miguel shrugged, everyone looked over at him "what? ceremonies are so boring." he sighed with his arms crossed.
"well we're not rude people like you miguel." i sat up, my dad snickered.
my mother sighed and went upstairs to her room, miguel shrugged and walked out the door.
"where are you going?" dad asked.
"hang out with the boys!" he shouted from outside, my dad shook his head.
"he totally got his mom's side." dad scoffed.
"i wonder who's side i got." i smirked, he laughed and nodded his head before walking up to the bedroom they shared.

i sighed with a smile and laid my head on one of the pilows of the couch.
i wondered what i could do, i could read but i somehow got tired of it these past few days. maybe it was from camilo's influence, or maybe just reading the book and finishing it too soon.
i bit my lip and decided to get out for a bit, perhaps i could try finding the cornflower miguel planted long time ago. just to check if he was okay, there was a reason why it was in such a secret place.

i started walking a bit too far from home and walked onto the top of the hill, behind it was a field with small lilies and dandelions and many other flowers. that was the place where miguel's comfort place, he would often plant flower seeds he got back home in order to let out his stress. however there was one flower he loved the most, the flower than only i knew it lived in this place. you could say it became an important fragment to the both of us.
the cornflower of love.

i walked a few steps away from the field and then there it was, it had rocks around it as a sort of protection as it let itself sit closer to where the sun would set. it was beautiful.
"hello there, i came here to see you pretty one." i whispered while sitting next to it on the nice meadow.

there was a reason miguel planted this flower in such a beautiful place, he planted it on the day he realised he was in love with someone for the very first time. he was so happy that day....
even tho the field had harsh memories and depression he still wanted the cornflower to be part of it, but not as a bad thing, but as a good thing.

i looked over at the flower and laid down.
"miguel sure is amazing."i smiled at the flower and then sighed "he told me that if i ever fall in love here or even somewhere else, i could plant a cornflower next to you." i chuckled, letting the soft wind hit both me and the flower's petals. it hurt me to look at it, it always reminded me on how far in life my brother is. surrounded by friends no matter where he went and now he was in love with someone he truly admired with his heart and spirit, it sometimes makes me feel as if i will end up alone forever reading books to pass time and not being able to wave back at someone out of awkwardness. my brother would live married with all of the happy flowers he planted in his life, while i would just sit down and watch.
i know it might not happen but still, i keep on thinking it might. i'm not interesting enough or even talkative so what's the point? i won't leave a mark on anyone if i do try to help them, i'll always be the second choice. i'll always be the lonely sibling.
that was it, that was enough to make tears inside my eyes. gosh, i never know why i always get this emotional next to a small flower.

i chuckled and sat up while hugging my knees.
"you always bring out the worst of me little guy." i looked over at the flower, of course, it didn't talk back but it still managed to comfort me in a mysterious way. still the hardships never left.
"i wonder if it ever happens to miguel." i sighed as i laid my head on my knees. i didn't know what to do, it was in the middle of the evening and here i was, ranting to a flower.
im such a dumbo.

-------------------