Dance

"Okay, Callie. Your solo is called Brave. You are brave, did you know that?"
"No."
"You came back after a back injury and came to Level 8 two weeks later. Only two people would do that on this team and that's you and Bethany. Others probably wouldn't even come back."
"I can never not dance. If I didn't try to come back I would have killed myself."
"You've got passion. That's what I look for in a dancer."
"Thanks."
"Callie, what do you want to be eventually?"
"Olympic gymnast."
"So your going to Jr's in a few years then."
"Yeah."
"Well you are brave then."
"Thanks."
We run through it. I really like her as a teacher. She doesn't just yell like Coach Aria does. She actually stands next to you and goes through it with you. She's positive but points out what you do wrong but when you correct it she smiles and complements you.
When we finish she hands me my water bottle.
"I'm sorry. But you are born for this kind of dancing."
"So, I'm more of a floor person then?"
"You are great at floor. And bars. Your good at everything. And that's hard to come by."
"That says a lot coming from you."
"What do you mean?"
"Your Nikki. Like the best in the Mid West. Have won in nationals so many times."
"It was only 7."
"That's a lot."
"Not in my book. Should not have waited until I was 10."
"But, your so, so good. And it doesn't matter what age you start. You said that yourself."
"That's true. I did. But I wish I wouldn't have spent my time on jazz and all that. My mom always told me I was going to be a gymnast."
"And you were. Your mom is very smart."
"Yeah."
"How is she? You seemed down when you brought her up."
"When I was 10. I lost both my parents in a car accident."
"Really?"
She does not seem like a person who has to deal with that.
"Yeah. I was there with them. My aunt and uncle took me in. Lived there for the rest of my life. Well, there and Mona's gym."
"Which is here."
"Right."
"Well she was good. I mean you, Daniel, Jenny. Just three dancers that were famous."
"No."
"Yeah."
"Okay fine. We are well known."
"Very."
"How about you? What's your story? Why do you dance?"
"I dance because I love it. And I can't leave it. Even if I try. And I don't want to try anyway."
"How about your story?"
"What about my story?"
"Your family. When you started dancing. School."
"Well. I started dancing at age 6. And I have a 4.0 in school."
"Woah. Nice job."
"Thanks. And my family, my brother Anthony and my mom."
"Dad?" I shake my head. "What happened? You can tell me."
"After my brother left for the Marines. He got mad at my mom and said she spends all there money an my dance stuff. And then he yelled at me for not paying for my dance stuff. And told me that I will never make it to the Olympics and that dance is a waste of my time. And that I wasn't good at dance. And more."
"Wow."
"And at the competition that I hurt my back on. He showed up. And I lost my focus."
"Always keep focus."
"I know. And I remember looking up and I saw him leave."
"Wow. Well, no need for him then."
"Yeah."
"So, was that Anthony at the competition with My Little Girl? I had to leave I just couldn't."
"Yeah."
"Awe. So sweet."
"Yeah. He is."
"See, I would have never known that if I hadn't asked. You don't let that show."
"You don't either."
"I didn't want people to treat me differently because I lost my parents. That's how the world is and I don't like that."
"I don't tell about my dad because I don't really want him as my dad. I want someone else. Someone who believes in me, and treats me as his daughter. Not some hunk of junk who treats my whole family like crap."
"I know how you feel."
"Yeah."
"But, someday you will see that you don't need a dad."
"You don't need a dad if you've got a brother. Especially a marine."
"That's very true. I guess my brother didn't get that."
"Oh. He wasn't very good to you or?"
"He didn't care. After my parents died he went and killed himself."
"Wow."
Are you serious! That is ridiculous! I would never have know that.
"And your sister. The one you did Skin for."
"Yeah. Poor girl."
"Do you ever wonder, how she would be as a dancer?"
"Sometimes. I know she would be good."
"Probably."
Daniel walks in.
"Hey Nikki."
"Yeah."
"I just got a call from Mona." She turns.
"What?"
"You know who bought the old studio. It was Mona. She wants to start up again."
"Tell her I'm in."
"Will do."
"Well that just happened."
"Wait, Mona. Does that mean your going to start dancing again?"
"Yes. But shhh. You can't tell anyone."
"I won't."
"I'll see younger for the group." She says with a smile.
"Okay. Have fun with Mona."
"I will!"
Wow. She's happy.