Practice

"Okay. Welcome to the first day of practice for some of you as level 8 dancer. It's not too much different then 7. But we push you harder, harder routines, more routines. And you actually have a dance to do on a stage not just on a mat with not everyone watching you. You will be in the Teen category. Team 9 you will be in Junior. 10, elite. Until you all go your separate ways in dance weather it's teaching, going big, Olympics. Whatever it is we are hoping it is dance related. In your cases, gymnastics." Nikki says. I really like her. Honest, and to the point. "Now, I do not allow people walking out of practice or rehearsal. Unless given permission by me. Unless you have spoken to me if you need to leave that I know what you are more then likely leaving for. Had an experience with one of the old dancers with that and she lost her solo because of it. She quit the team along with causing the group to finish 5th because she refused to practice. Which leads me to practice situations. You all know the gym is always open. As long as someone is here with you. Parent, friend. Must be over 18 though. You all know where the hidden key is outside." In the bush on the bottom branch. "And even if it's not here. I should not hear anything about not being able to practice. You don't need a whole gym to do it. You can do it in a living room. Your parents signed saying that you are responsible for practicing. And that said to have a place for you to practice. Weather they converted a room to a gym. Or just made it big enough for you. Go outside of you have to. There's grass. It's soft."
"Says the one who fell on the grass." Daniel says. We all laugh. "And rolled your ankle." We laugh again.
"Shut it."
"Nikki, why don't you run through what the kids can do on a stage competition." Coach Jeremy says.
"It's mostly floor. But, bars, rings are there for you to take and use in the routine. No bean. No vault. We will go to vault and beam competitions. But we mostly go to floor."
"It's fun guys. Don't worry." Bethany says.
"One thing you should worry about is Nationals." We all smile. "Nationals can make you, or break you."
"What's Nationals like?" Sarah asks.
"Harder. More nerve racking. But your competing with people from all over the nation. So, you don't know what your dealing with."
"So it really can make or break you." JJ says.
"Yes."
"Like with Katie?" Nikki looks at him.
"Katie's situation was not that kind of make or break."
"Can you tell the story of what happened to her?"
"Sure JJ." We all listen. All I know of Katie she was at a competition and she got hurt. Hasn't returned since. "We were at a competition. We added bars to her routine. At the end, she was going to be hanging on the bar and it was going to lift up. It did, but the operators thought they were supposed to let her back down to the floor not have her go to the stairs. They should have known that. I told them myself many times. But Katie on the top just sat there waiting. I told her to wait for me. And she wasn't hanging in tightly. And they dropped it. And Katie, fell off half way down. I was on the stage close to the stairs by then. And I just heard the boom of the stage. I looked over and I ran to her. She dislocated her knee alone with and tore her ACL." Ouch. "She's been here with me in private to try and get back at it. But, she can't. She told me she was done with dance and that she was going to try piano. Haven't seen or talked to her since."
"Wow." Sarah says.
"Now JJ. How did you know about Katie?"
"She was my sisters friend."
"I see."
"Okay let's get going here Nikki. What's your plan?"
"Bethany solo. Callie solo. Lexi and Alex duet. The rest in the group."
She gave me a solo!! Oh my god!!