Chapter Two

Pastry was running down a spiral staircase, witches chasing after her.

"Come back, cookie!" the witches cried, "come to your creator!"

Pastry stumbled on a gap in the staircase where the step vanished when her foot touched it and felt a hand grab the back of her dress. Then she realized that she was wearing White Lily's outfit instead of her own.

"Ahhh!" When Pastry screamed, it was White Lily's voice.

The witches grabbed her, laughing, as they threw her into the ultimate dough. The dough engulfed her and...

Pastry Sister!

Pastry Sister!

"PASTRY SISTER!!!"

Pastry Cookie woke up from her nightmare, her eyes popping open. Rays of light shone through the gaps of the curtains. She groaned when she realized that the light was bright enough to make it at least ten in the morning.

"Finally, you're awake, Pastry Sister," said the voice that had been calling her name earlier.

"Sorry for oversleeping, Oatmeal Sister," Pastry told her, rubbing her eyes and sitting up, "Did the Reverend Mother ask for my presence?"

"Yes, Pastry Sister, but do not worry. I informed the Reverend Mother that you were simply sleeping."

"And what did she say, Oatmeal Sister?" Pastry implored as she braided her long purple hair in front of the mirror. The last of her drowsiness was fading.

Oatmeal Cookie's light brown hair was covered almost completely by her headpiece, her eyes twinkling cheerfully in the reflection of the mirror. "The Reverend Mother said that you could sleep in since it is becoming a regular occurrence, Pastry Sister. The Reverend Mother said to not worry Pastry Sister. Ah, sorry. Did I make you worried?"

Pastry glanced at Oatmeal Cookie's worried expression in the mirror and shook her head while she smoothed her bun in place, "I was not worried, Oatmeal Sister, but thank you for asking me."

"Oh, not a problem, Pastry Sister." the younger cookie said, sounding relieved, "but the Reverend Mother did tell me to inform you to meet her once you have gotten dressed and tidied up. I woke you since you were turning and crying in your sleep, I thought you may have been having a nightmare."

"I was, Oatmeal Sister. Thank you for waking me up." Pastry adjusted her veil and brushed her short strands of hair that she always framed her face with. The tickling sensation of them against her cheek was a normal occurrence and Pastry felt as if something was missing when she tucked them in. It was like not wearing her veil and going outside. "I will go to Reverend Mother at once."

"See you later, Pastry Sister!"

"Farewell, Oatmeal Sister. Have a prosperous day," Pastry replied, opening the door of her room and heading towards the chapel. The beautiful artworks depicting the witches were as pristine as ever, but ever since that vision, Pastry could not feel the same awe as before.

Same with prayer. Praying to the witches and reciting the Books always caused a weird tingling in her stomach, like when she found out that the godly had created the cake-cookie that way back in the tower. It reminded her of the saying the mothers always told her.

There were three cookies, building a house. I asked the first cookie, "what are you doing?"

She replied, "laying down some bricks."

I ask the second cookie, "what are you doing?"

She replied, "building a house."