Chapter 2

Sidree's mother had been sick for years. She had just slowly gotten worse and worse. When it first started it was just difficult for her to walk. Slowly it made doing everything difficult, she couldn't do anything. It was no surprise that she was dead, but Sidree was still shocked. He expected to have at least another year with her.

Sidree had no idea what to do, but he kept calm. After debating what to do for awhile, Sidree decided to get her body to the morgue to begin with. Next was to get out of that crapshack for the night. Thankfully Meria let him go to her house whenever he pleased.

Meria's was slightly bigger than Sidree's, she had an extra room. It was in better shape as well. Sidree knocked on her door. Meria opened it right away with the same smile she always wore on her face.

Sidree explained what happened to his mother and how he couldn't stay there. She nodded with pure shock on her face. Sidree noticed a few tears forming in her eyes that she was clearly trying hard to hide.

"Of course. Stay here as long as you need. It'll be okay Sid." Meria said as she wrapped her arms around Sidree.

Meria asked if there was anything else she could do.

Sidree shook his head no, "all I need is a place to stay, a nice warm cup of tea would be lovely though."

Meria chuckled softly, "I'll get you a cup of tea then."

Meria chucked a few pillows and blankets for Sidree to set up a spot to sleep.

Sidree knew exactly what Meria was doing. Whenever something sad happened she acted like her feelings didn't matter and did everything she could to cheer Sidree up. Though not by blood, Meria was his older sister.

As kids they had a dog, one day a noblemen's carriage trampled the poor thing to death. Meria acted like she didn't care and made sure Sidree felt better. But Sidree saw her sobbing over the dog when she was alone one time.

This time was worse. Sidree's mother raised Meria. He wasn't the only one who lost a mother that day. Meria did as well.

Meria handed Sidree a hot cup of tea with some honey in it.

"Is there anything else I can get you? Anything at all?" Meria asked him.

"Not that I can think of," Sidree replied.

"I don't know if this will cheer you up at all, but I have some good news." Meria said excitedly.

"Then let's hear it," Sidree said humoring her.

"Well the cat we found earlier today is doing well, I cleaned up her cuts and she seems to be doing fine. I think she'll survive!" Meria said pointing at a white cat resting on her bed.

The cat looked much better than it did when Sidree had first seen it. The kitten was pure white other than one paw that looked as if it had stepped into a tin of dark brown paint, but he could tell it was apart of the cats pattern. It had eyes that were a rich brown color with specks of gold.

It was no longer covered in blood, but Sidree could still see where the cuts had been. They would most likely scar. Considering Sidree thought it would die, that was great.

"What's her name?" Sidree asked.

"I think it only makes sense that because I am a baker, that I should call her cake." Meria spoke, her eyes not leaving the cat.

"It's getting late, we should go to sleep." Meria said.

"I don't think I'll be able to sleep, but I won't keep you up." Sidree responded.

Sidree went to the bookshelf on the other side of the room. Most of the titles were of no interest to him. There was one that seemed strange.

"Witchcraft for the Lost" it was called

It was such a strange title. Witchcraft was illegal and punishable by death. And what did it mean by the lost? What would Meria need a book like this for?

Sidree heard as Meria sobbed. She stopped herself and rolled over. A clearly fake smile rested on her face.

"On second thought, I'm not really tired. Care for some cake?" She asked him.

"I'll never say no to a cake made by you." Sidree said with a hungry grin on his face.

Meria was a goddess at baking. Even as kids she had a talent for it. But baking took up a lot of foods so she didn't get to bake often.

After some time Meria had finished the cake. Sidree had tasted everything she made. Each baked goods tasted better than the last.

It didn't take long for the two of them to finish the entire cake. Then a thought crossed Sidree's mind.

"How have you paid for the ingredients to bake?" Sidree asked Meria.

"Well I kind of didn't..." Meria said, looking away.

"You mean you stole?" Sidree asked, already knowing the answer.

"Come on! I'm not the queen! How else do you think I can get any of this? Do you know how much baking costs?" Meria said trying to defend herself.

Sidree sighed. He thought stealing was wrong, but he could understand why she did it.

"You mentioned the queen, I haven't heard much of the royal family recently, you?" Sidree asked trying to change the subject.

"I heard queen Lunia is going to visit our village soon." She told him.

"Do you mean princess? Lunia isn't queen yet."

"No, it's queen. Didn't you hear? The goblin eastern slaughtered the king and queen in their sleep."

The king and queen were dead? That raised so many questions in Sidree's head. Not to mention, why was the queen coming to their small village?Sidree had no idea what to think. But before he knew it. He was fast asleep.