23 ⋆✶⋆ The Battle of Hearts

TW: violence and war

The sky was a somber shade of grey, and from it was pouring rain

The sky was a somber shade of grey, and from it was pouring rain. It made the ride down from the Mountains of Rain and Night, even harder for the young girl galloping through the moving army of Wargals on her black battle steed. The mud spat up against his legs whenever he put his large hooves down, some of it landing on his rider's black gambeson. She carried a small elegant sword on her hip, with which she wasn't the best with, but still deadly.

With an expressionless face she arrived at the opening which lead to the Heath of Uthal and halted her horse. It was a fertile green sea of undulating grassland. There were plains as far her eyes could see, with only a few lonely hilltops covered with trees interrupting the otherwise boring landscape. Down from the battle camp across the field came a massive cavalry, which sent a shudder through the earth. Longingly she glanced at those soldiers who moved in to support King Duncan's first line.

For the past hours a same pattern had been happening, she thought to herself. "The King is either stalling or stupid." She muttered underneath her breath. Though she did not know what he had planned.

She pressed her heels lightly against her dark steed's belly, but he didn't move. Then she tried again, way harder and the horse shot forward, with her on it trying to regain her balance. On the outside the rider in black had a cool countenance, but on the inside her heart was pounding and underneath her gloves her hands were sweating.

As she moved forward, her eyes were glued to the withering horizon, where from the forest a walloping group of Skandians came running. A single lonely rider seemed to have escaped them. A cold fear struck the girl and she put a hand over her mouth. King Duncan's army was doomed.

On top of a small hill in front of the King's camp, a small group stood observing the battle, when they were supplemented by a young Ranger who had come bearing good news. He told the company that the Skandians were Araluanian soldiers, dressed up in Skandian clothes. And as the warlords got back to their business and consulted how they were going to use the surprise to their advantage, the young Ranger averted his attention elsewhere. He squinted with narrowed eyes, trying to find someone. But when he didn't, his shoulders sunk and he shook his head in defeat.

From behind them the battle screams kept getting louder as the 'Skandians' drew nearer. The girl nervously tried to bite her nails, but then realized she couldn't with her gloves on. She looked back and saw Morgarath ride in next to her. Immediately she moved out a little and kept her gaze focused on the happening at the other side of the creek.

"I can smell their fear from here," his smug voice boomed from next to her, "their blood will soak these unholy grounds and their wounded cries will be like music to my ears." An amused smile tugged on the dark Lord's thin lips while drops of rains dripped from them.

He looked over to the girl who he now noticed was looking away. A chilling fury overtook him as he roughly grabbed her chin and yanked it towards him. "Look at me when I'm talking to you, woman!"