13 ⋆✶⋆ The Reunion

We galloped towards the western cliffs. I had only had moments to gather all of the empty foldable buckets and foods, fling the saddle over Vacker's back in her cave and swing on myself. She had buckled off before my heels could even squeeze into her stomach, swift as an arrow catapulting off a bow.

There wasn't a bridge , I knew that, but if I went back to Araluen they would cut me off with another legion, that I was sure of. And they were with a big enough group that I wouldn't be able to take them on alone. So I would have to outsmart them, and for that I needed the gaping abyss splitting Celtica from Morgarath's territory. Trees, stones and birds flew by, all blurring into one color as we hurried to the slit in the earth.

How long it took for us to get there, I don't know, but it was fast. Very fast. I steered Vacker towards a point in the rift that was closer than normal, two rock plateau's reaching for each other like lover's hands. I gave the black horse a short encouraging pat before heeling her in the belly and urging her to jump.

The endless dark stretched out underneath us as we soared through the stinging wind, but it seemed to stretch and stretch until... I unwillingly had closed my eyes, ready to plummet to my death and be reuinted with my lost siblings in the afterlife. But the shattering pain breaking my bones did not come, instead I fell forward into the saddle a bit more before sitting upright again and hearing the familiar song of hooves clappering on stone.

I carefully pried one eye open and shot my hands into the air, letting out a victory cry. The adrenaline rushed through my body and more than ever I was ready to fight. So I waited, for the Wargals, who stood on the other edge, contemplating weighing the pros and cons of risking that jump. I hadn't quite calculated the possibility that they might be able to cross too.

In the seconds they were hesitating I whipped out my bow and started shooting. One by one they fell into the rock cavice, some still tried to jump over, but met the looming darkness instead. My heart died a little thinking back to the cubs, because they hadn't wanted to do this. They just wanted their peace. When the blood was spilled and the fight over, I sent a little prayer to them, that they finally may find rest in the afterworld and be reunited with their loved ones.

The sun set low and I made sure to be out of the mountains infested with even more deadly animals than the ones I'd encountered. From their lairs I could already feel them watching, lurking nearby waiting for their prey. I rode to the nearest settling, hoping I'd find food and shelter there. The thought of a nice warm bath in an inn was enough to spur Vacker on a little bit more.

Threatening heavy clouds settled over the skies, blocking out any rays of sun the day had left. "Looks like rain. We should find Pordellath soon, or else we'll get sick."

Food wasn't on the menu for me tonight I feared, because the horrors still poisoned my body, it wanting to purge it all out. Anything that went in I'd probably not be able to keep there for long.

The small houses in the valley rose up on the horizon and I sighed in relief as shadows overcast the lands. At least I didn't have to sleep in some damp cold surrounding again. I frowned at the odd sight the village painted, no sound came from it, no light, no smoke. As if a sleeping spell had been casted over it.

All but one, I observed, riding through the empty streets where carts had been discarded, hay bales laid on their side and dust coated the insides of the buildings. The Riadhad's , the mayor's house buckled with life. Three horses stood in the small shelter in front of it, one of which I recognized immediately.

Vacker trotted towards her friend she'd missed so dearly, she had been lonely as well I presumed. The two greeted each other with loads of head shaking and snorts, like they were having their own conversation in a language I didn't know. At that moment the door broke open and a hooded figure burst down the stairs.

I almost fell out of the saddle, trying to get off so quickly and when I landed on my feet he was already in front of me. His green eyes flying over my every feature, to check if it was really me. Then he pulled me into his hard chest and hugged me as if he hadn't seen me in years, while burying his face in the crook of my neck. I felt his warmth, smelled the pine forest scent that always surrounded him. That was home.

I closed my eyes and grabbed him tighter, letting all of the tears roam freely, because now I was safe. Now I was with Gilan and the world could stop spinning I wouldn't care. Every nook every curve of his body was a familiarity, it had been a part I'd missed. My heart pulsating swiftly not from fear for once.

"I missed you," he breathed into my skin. His voice. Oh his voice, an instrument that drove me crazy during training, but even more when he was so close to me. Especially with his breath stroking, painting my shoulder with tingles that spread throughout my body.

As a response I kissed every inch of his face, smiling in a way I'd never known I could. I got to his lips and closed whatever distance there was still left between us. Our mouths intertwined, longing not to waste a single part of the other. His hands had whirled down to my waist, where he pinched my hips desperately. I dug my nails into his hair earning a low groan from the Tall Ranger as a success.

Loud murmers coming from the house made us break apart hastily. It hadn't escaped my notice that another Ranger horse, not Halt's but another and a battlesteed were keeping Blaze company. Gilan looked at me with such disappointment I swear he resembled a puppy, but he understood as well why I'd done it and had given me a crestfallen nod.

That did not stop him from moping as we soared up the stairs, into the house, where I finally met his traveling companions Will and Horace. His touch on me never disappeared however, even with the two teen boys overwhelming me with questions about being a female Ranger. It was as if he had to remind himself that I was with him, to check if I was real. The first one was a hand on my back, then he'd find some other excuse to stay in contact with me, like insisting on taking off my cloak or brushing a strand of hair out of my face. Not that I minded any of it at all, but I found it difficult to do myself, as most of the attempts just fell into water because I'd felt that they looked unnatural, unlike his touches. He must've had loads of practice with other girls I thought begrudgingly.

"We'll take the first watch," My mentor ordered, leaving no room for questions as he gave the two boys a stare made from steel that hurried them into sleep.

I poked his side as he sat down beside me in front of the fireplace and patted his lap for me to lay my head, which I gladly did. He stroked my hair, the heat and that movement enough to lull me into a warm daze. "I couldn't find a bath, I'm sorry."

I chuckeled, closing my eyes and leaning into him a bit more just because I could. His legs made a wonderful pillow, not as hard as stone, but not so soft that it didn't give any support. "I fear it's more a burden for you than for me."

I heard Gilan snort and sensed his head shaking, his muscles rolling. "Yeah, you do stink, it's burning my nostrils."

Before I sunk into sleep I made sure to squeeze his side. His hand he rested on my stomach, his fingers intertwined with my own.